Militaria collectors anyone?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't have anything but my parents have got a lot of my grandad's letters. He was ordnance corps in Italy and he ended up at Monza racetrck- it was being used as a tank dump.
My other grandparents are still alive but all I know that they've got is the nosecone of a WWI shell- it's used as a doortstop

Oh jeez, I've got all kinds of odds and ends . . .

Here's a side panel from an F4F Wildcat. This particular panel is from Bureau Number 11985, and sports the VF-11 Sundowners insignia; side nimber was white F-21. My father flew this, his assigned airplane, on 12 June 1943 when he shot down 2 A6M2's, bringing his total to six.

4175c5d6a0180.jpg

And this is an actual message form from 15 August 1945, received at 1233 hours aboard the TF-38 flagship USS Shangri-La.

40f895eba87a5.jpg

Rich

Hi,

I´m surprised and happy to know that we have some real enthusiasts here! It doesn´t matter if you have one single bullet or a big collection, the "spirit" is the most import thing!

Douglas.

PS - Der Adler, you should have an amazing collection, I´m sure!

By the way: I bought this M5A1 bayonet this week. It was the last model issued to the famous M1 Garand rifle, during the 50s. I do not collect US stuff and I bought this one as a gift for my uncle. But I was really surprised with this little beauty!

So allow me to show you.

Wishes.

Douglas.

Attachments

• baioneta-01_136.jpg
    baioneta-01_136.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 563
Douglas Jr. said:
Hi,

I´m surprised and happy to know that we have some real enthusiasts here! It doesn´t matter if you have one single bullet or a big collection, the "spirit" is the most import thing!

Douglas.

PS - Der Adler, you should have an amazing collection, I´m sure!

It is deffinatly a great hobby of mine, and I put a lot of time and money into it. I just hate it when wrong people such as hate groups get the stuff to parade around in it. The pieces need to be displayed and admired as a piece of history and not used for the wrong purpose.

What really bothers me are people who would destroy items like Third Reich uniforms and medals, etc. because they bear a swastika. Almost as bad is the practice of "de-Nazifying" them, by removing the Nazi insignia.

If they're offended by it I can understand, but don't attempt to rewrite history and have the rest of us pretend none of it ever existed! :rolleyes:
It's still a part of history!

All militaria should be left in the condition that it is. I dont believe in altering anything and if anything has to be done to my uniforms I used 100 percent authentic pieces right down to the thread. But the pieces should be left as they are. I even have what we call battle field relic helmets that were dug up in the field some where are completely rusted and have holes in them. They are quite neat actually.

I agree that they are historical items and should be treated as such. To "cleanse" them only removes a piece of history. In Adler's case, he is doing the right thing, preserving history. We have some items in the museum with swastikas on them on display. It doesn't mean that any of us support the Nazi ideals.

That is part of the historical value. Destroying the items or "de-nazifying" them does not make it go away. It should be preserved for that reason, to remind us of the darker time in our history so that it is not repeated.

I don't posses any items myself but my brother has a Lee Enfield with 18inch bayonet that I bought him some years ago as a Christmas present and a small piece of the L32 zeppelin that my grandmother collected from the crash site when it was downed in WW1 near her home down. My dad has a Nazi ID banner that he got in Holland and apart from his dads WW1 medals he has a small flier asking for volunteers to fight for the white Russians in archangel which my grandfather accepted because it payed more. I'll get some pictures to post asap
I did find this in the family album its my granddad on his wedding day in 1917 just before he went to Passchendaele

Attachments

• granddad.ma_115.jpg
    granddad.ma_115.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 511
Interesting stuff. I too need to get my stuff out of storage at my mothers place so that I can photograph it all. I do have a couple of the tunics here and will deffinatly take pictures of them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back