Militaria collectors anyone?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've yet to meet an arrogant vet. My grandfather is no exception. My great uncle can be a bit of an old b*stard, but I figure he's earned the right. He can be crotchety at times, but he's hardly arrogant.

Well here the only things that I have at my place right now. As I said the rest is in storage at my mothers house until my house is built. I am having a special room built in my house that I will use to display my collection. I am getting manicans for the best of my uniforms and then I am getting glass tables built in for all of my medals and awards that I have collected.

For those of you interested in starting a collection. You really have to watch out for fakes. There are millions of fakes on the market, mostly made in eastern europe. I myself have even fallen for a few fakes when I first got started collecting. Here a few books that I recommend to help decide what is fake and what is not and show what is out there.

Third Reich Militaria Revised Edition by Robin Lumsden

Third Reich Cloth Insignia by Brian L. Davis and Ian Westwell
(this book has many editions to it covering medals and all other types of 3rd reich militaria, I will not post each book but if you can find this one on the net, you will find the others too.

German Militaria Collectibles Price Guide by Ron Manion
(this book is a price guide and the price guide is pretty much useless as these are not the prices you will find on the market today and prices vary anyhow from dealer to dealer but it covers a great deal of 3rd Reich militaria and points out how to spot fakes for many items)

Attachments

• armband1_567.jpg
    armband1_567.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 652
  • back1_162.jpg
    back1_162.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 646
  • front_202.jpg
    front_202.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 649
  • ike2_185.jpg
    ike2_185.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 650
  • ike_108.jpg
    ike_108.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 652
  • sommer2_912.jpg
    sommer2_912.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 654
  • sommer_176.jpg
    sommer_176.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 670
  • waffenrock2_741.jpg
    waffenrock2_741.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 661
  • waffenrock_876.jpg
    waffenrock_876.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 658
  • luftwaffetropic2_147.jpg
    luftwaffetropic2_147.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 655
  • luftwaffetropic_181.jpg
    luftwaffetropic_181.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 661
the lancaster kicks ass said:
i like that map/poster...........

It is actually a post card, the image underneath it is the reverse side of it. The words at the bottom Ein Volk Ein Reich Ein Fuehrer translate to One People One Empire One Leader.

Hi Adler!

I think it is the first time I saw a Flak Officer summer tunic! :shock: Amazing indeed!

The others tunics are from the medical branch, aren´t they? If not, what brach wear the cornflower blue waffenfarbe?

Congratulations.

Douglas.

Hi,

Here is another item: Stahlhelm M42 with Polizei double decals. The size is 62 . Hope you enjoy it.

Douglas

Attachments

• capacete_m42_polizei-5_118.jpg
    capacete_m42_polizei-5_118.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 580
  • capacete_m42_polizei-6_151.jpg
    capacete_m42_polizei-6_151.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 596
Douglas Jr. said:
Hi Adler!

I think it is the first time I saw a Flak Officer summer tunic! :shock: Amazing indeed!

The others tunics are from the medical branch, aren´t they? If not, what brach wear the cornflower blue waffenfarbe?

Congratulations.

Douglas.

Very nice helmet by the way. I need to get some of my helmets up here to my place. I have a very nice Afrika Korps Pith Helmet and several very nice M-42's.

The Flak officer tropical tunic is actually one of my favorite pieces. It was actually given to me by a friend of my family who wore the uniform in Afrika. The funny thing is the cuff title on sleeve is not an authorized cuff title. He sowed on a generic brand that he had just bought. But I will not remove because it is part of his uniform and he did sow it on during WW2.

Yes you are correct Medical used the cornflower blue color. The other uniform is actually transportation and it is a shade of Light Blue as the Germans called it.

Here is a little bit of knowledge for the people who do not know what he is talking about.

Colors were employed in the design of military, paramilitary, and civil uniforms and accountrements as a methodical means of unit identification. The colors appeared on tunic facings, cap piping, armbands, etc and were known as branch of service colours or waffengattungsfarben normally given in its abbreviated form waffenfarbe.

Cornflower blue was used by different branches as follows:

Army: Medical
Luftwaffe: Medical
NSDAP: Justice (kind of ironic that the NSDAP had a Justice Branch huh)
SA: Medical
Waffen SS: Medical
RAD: Medical
Police: Medical
OT: Medical

Light Blue was used as follows:

Army: Transport and Supply
Luftwaffe: Administration
NSDAP: Ortsgruppe officials
Waffen SS: Supply
NSKK: French Volunteers
RAD: Justice
HJ: Flying Personnel
TeNo: Technical Service

Just about every color was used in different ways by different branches.

The other principle colors were White, Light Grey, Lemon Yellow, Golden Yellow, Orange, Bright Red, Carmine Red, Bordeaux Red, Rose Pink, Grass Green, Bright Green, Brown, and Black, and there were many varying shades of each color varying on the manufacture and material and quality of the artical being made.

This single sided 6ft X 2ft banner was removed from the town hall in Middleburgh (holland) by Able Seaman Bill Miles during operation INFATUATE - 1st to 8th NOV 1944. (The Battle for the WALCHEREN Islands) these guarded the approaches to Antewrp and proved to be one of the more costly campaigns for the Landing craft crews during war.

Attachments

• nazi_banner_from_middleburgh_137.jpg
    nazi_banner_from_middleburgh_137.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 570
Very nice flag. I have several of those flags. My favorite one that I aquired is actually a Kriegsmarine flag. I really need to get down to Stuttgart and take some pics so that I can post them.

You have a regular little museum there Adler I would escpecially be interested in seeing any Items connected with your family history.
I dont have nearly as many items as you Adler but every little helps.
Some are from WW!.
Heres a concert Programme from 1916 that my grandfather kept I dont think item 2 on the bill is a very good way of cheering up the troops in the middle of a war "A sailors Grave The Last watch"
in the credits it says Emergency Exit By the Huns.

Attachments

• concert_programme_1916_141.jpg
    concert_programme_1916_141.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 548
  • concert_programme_bill__1916_189.jpg
    concert_programme_bill__1916_189.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 539
Nice program there.

I have actually very litte from my family. I have my Grandfathers wehrmacht uniform, I have his peaked hat, I have his winter issue boots, I have his doctors bag, and I have his map case with maps in it of the Eastern Front. Still I treasure these items. And as I posted above the Tropical Luftwaffe tunic is from a friend of my family. That is actually something I wish to do someday is open a museum. Some of my collection is always on loan to libraries or small museums back home. By far though my collection compares nothing to some of the people I know. The man who really got me started has about 3 whole rooms full of just tunics and such. He has been collecting for a little over 30 years though.

your Opa served on the Ost front in what unit and regiment-Abteilung ?

thumbs up ! I had three third cousins on my mothers side that fell on the Ost front. All three in the Heer, the youngest almost made it back home out of the gulag after the war but died in transit.............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back