Militaria collectors anyone?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am not sure, I will have to ask my grandmother or look through his stuff and see if I can find some info on that. He was major and a medical officer (doctor) He was captured at Stalingrad and spent the rest of the war in a POW camp but made it home after the war.

Amazing story Adler!
Only around 6,000 men (out of 91,000 made prisioners when the Stalingrad Kessel surrendered) made it back to Germany after the war.

I have two items in my colletion related with this battle: a document group to a NCO from the Schützen-Regiment 64 (16. Panzerdivision) including his five awards Urkunde and a Eisbahn-Pionier Wehrpass that saw action in Stalingrad but was not inside the Kessel.

Douglas.

That is a good find there my friend.

I know before my Grandfather was captured he was wounded by shrapnel from a grenade in his face. I remember my mother telling me that even before 30 years after the war whenever he blew his nose small pieces of metal would come out.

your Opa was a fortunate man to get out of the Gulags via Stalingrad...........what a Hell-hole

He tried to do a lot of great things. He specialized in resperatory diseases and he ran a Turburculosis center after the war while trying to find a cure for the disease. It eventually killed him.

Yeah, T.B is nasty stuff. Back before penicillin, all they could do was chop the manky bits of lung away, and keep the patients in a special T.B hospital away from others.

If they lived, they lived. If not.......

And the sobering thing is that doctors are saying there's a new superstrain out there which is resistant to penicillin.

I thought I had TB when I got back from Iraq, I had a nasty little rash on the test spot for the first day but by the time I cam in 2 days later to have it looked at it was okay and the doc said I was fine.

Good. It's a terrible thing.

My grandfather was wounded when he was in North Africa, and he got T.B in the military hospital. It was a complete menace for his whole life, and was the ultimate cause of all his subsequent health problems.

I can see why people were so petrified of it then.

Because of my grandfather, my aunt and dad were always having x-rays to check it hadn't spread.

Truly it is a killer.

Its actually on the increase a large number of migrants from the far east and Africa are carrying it and its surprising how many western kids have not been inoculated against it . My wife who's is a Nurse practitioner also informs me that as it is an air (droplet) born complaint family groups who live in close proximity are the most at risk, this is usual the groups who produce large numbers of off spring most commonly in the poorer areas of the world .

any of you guys collect these..... ? German death cards

these were death notices given out to the familie and others upon receival of notification of death for all branches of service, and are even used today....

Attachments

• wintersteigerludwig_141.jpg
    wintersteigerludwig_141.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 572
here is another one from my collection.....teh guy received the ground assault badge and was in a Luftwaffe Panzerjäger Abteilung not a regiment as stated. The goof has made this card that much more
rare and costly to own...

Attachments

• wilhelm_138.jpg
    wilhelm_138.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 572
I have seen some of those at an antique store in Ventura. They had probably a dozen or so. I thought they were interesting, but my wife wasn't keen on collecting death cards. Oh well. I can take a look for you next time I am down that way, Erich.

nice siggy man.

yes death cards are abit macbre but it is an interesting peice of history nonetheless. Many times interesting uniform details not found elsewhere in books or the net, The cards are relatively inexpensive but do tell a portion of history on the individual basis.

evan actually looking more for Kriegsmarine pieces than anything.

here is another card this time Luftwaffe Flak, odd the cahp was actually commended for two different flak badges. The first for aerial destruction of Soviet a/c and then the second when his Flak unit was used in the ground role destroying numerous Soviet armored vehicles.

Attachments

• brummerone_128.jpg
    brummerone_128.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 559

Users who are viewing this thread

Back