Modelling Tools and Equipment.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just picked up these two beauties in the women's cosmetics dept. They are VERY handy for doing rigging projects. Handle on the scissors was modified for my big fingers.

Attachments

• 1907Dirigible11.jpg
    1907Dirigible11.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 154
On the subject of tools. I have the green putty, it drys do fast for what I am doing. I am in need of a slow drying putty I can fill with. I am doing small gap fills that are a little fussy to do. Any suggestions which putty I should find? Bill

G'day N4521U I have just as of 45 min ago started to experiment with 'Loctite Automotive E-POX-E- RIBBON'. It is a two part epoxy putty that you knead together as well only this one has a two hour working time before it goes hard and I have also softened it to a sticky paste with tamiya Lacquer thinner. The best part is I picked it up from our local 'REPCO' Auto spare part shop for about $10 for almost a lifetime's worth of putty.

Cheers Switcha

Getting the new shop up and running.

First two pics - Work Area
Next 4 - Spray Booth, extra large this time

Attachments

• shopnew2-22-111.jpg
    shopnew2-22-111.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 137
  • shopnew2-22-112.jpg
    shopnew2-22-112.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 134
  • spraybooth1.jpg
    spraybooth1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 146
  • spraybooth2.jpg
    spraybooth2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 154
  • spraybooth3.jpg
    spraybooth3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 144
  • spraybooth4.jpg
    spraybooth4.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 137
G'day N4521U I have just as of 45 min ago started to experiment with 'Loctite Automotive E-POX-E- RIBBON'. It is a two part epoxy putty that you knead together as well only this one has a two hour working time before it goes hard and I have also softened it to a sticky paste with tamiya Lacquer thinner. The best part is I picked it up from our local 'REPCO' Auto spare part shop for about $10 for almost a lifetime's worth of putty.

Cheers Switcha

I have just now looked at this thread from last Sept! You posted just as I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and am Still dealing with the after effects. I will have to look for this stuff. Have you tried sculpting with it? To make a model for molding? It does sound like the stuff to use tho. Thanks for the tip.

About 90% of the spray booth was recycled material from a bathroom I'm re-doing. Old panelling is just perfect for the sides. Used the old exhaust fan. If you build one, make sure you ground it properly. Paint fumes and ungrounded wiring - NOT a good combo.

Next up - New BIGGER vac machine.

Mine will hook up to my shop vacuum system so no electrics will be on it, except maybe some built in lights.

One thing to think about. I run my exhaust fan outside so that it can be turned on well before spraying to remove all the dust from the room. A shop vac kicks up a lot of dust and keeps it moving around. Nothing worse than doing a beautiful paint job and having dust settle on it.

New vacuform machine taking shape.

Pic 1 - the heating element comes from 2 tabletop grills from Sanyo.
Pic 2 - handles and base removed
Pics 3 4 - materials for the frame. Shelving brackets are much less expensive than the aluminum angle.
Pics 5 6 heating elements strapped together at old handle attachment points.

Attachments

• vacmachine1.jpg
    vacmachine1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 143
  • vacmachine2.jpg
    vacmachine2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 141
  • vacmachine3.jpg
    vacmachine3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 145
  • vacmachine4.jpg
    vacmachine4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 128
  • vacmachine5.jpg
    vacmachine5.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 137
  • vacmachine6.jpg
    vacmachine6.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 132
Looks like you're going to be well equipped.

One thing to think about. I run my exhaust fan outside so that it can be turned on well before spraying to remove all the dust from the room. A shop vac kicks up a lot of dust and keeps it moving around. Nothing worse than doing a beautiful paint job and having dust settle on it.

Yeah, I know but I'm not talking a shopvac here. My vacuum system consists of a 2HP vac with canister filter housed in a separate room with a hard-piped collection network in the workshop. No dust is kicked up in the shop.

Looks like you're going to be well equipped.

Yeah, I know but I'm not talking a shopvac here. My vacuum system consists of a 2HP vac with canister filter housed in a separate room with a hard-piped collection network in the workshop. No dust is kicked up in the shop.

Looks like you've got it figured out. I was just trying to save you some of the mistakes I made years ago.

Crimea, just came upon this thread. The only thing I would add here is: What is the ventilation in your shop-vac room? Fumes from enamels and lacquers are flammable and potentially explosive so if your shop-vac room is not sufficiently ventilated the sparks from its motor are going to ignite those fumes if their concentration builds up. Paint booths have to be ventilated to the outside and all electrical connections have to be outside the booth as well
Why I use acrylics

Mine will hook up to my shop vacuum system so no electrics will be on it, except maybe some built in lights.

You better be verrrrry cautious about using a shopvac! It will still explode if you get flammables into it, even if it Is wet/dry!

That does NOT include flammable vapors!

Better to have a "Y" connector on the exhaust, Pushing the air thru the filter like an airbrush system! So the motor does not come in direct contact with vapors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back