Monogram B-52 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

deckape

Staff Sergeant
Jul 26, 2011
Moraine Ohio U.S.A.
Ahoy fellas
While my PV-1 Ventura Bomber is drying its time to start another build. Here I have a old 1995 re-issue kit od the Monogrtam B-52 Buff. This is the second kit I have ever done... The first kit of this I bought in 1968 the cost was $14.00 it was the most expensive and largest kit in ejection molded plastic in the world at that time perhaps there might have been some vacuform kits out there but it was unknown to me that any existed... With the $14.00 kit price you got a electric motor that replicated the sound of the jet engines pure gimic it had a switch under the right wing that turned the motor off and on.. It was molded in dark green plastic in vietnam scheme. Seems to me everytime Monogram re-issues this kit its still in the vietnam colors dont know why they go to the all aluminum version and with a new decal sheet. Like they say beggers are not choosers it is what it is. As to the paint schedule I been thinking about painting her as she was at Edwards AFB as a X-15 Mother ship All aluminum with Dayglo Orange tail and Nose sections with a X-15 attachede to the wing pod under the wing much food for though on this one... The detail on this kit its not to bad but a lot of the interier parts could have been done better such as the bulkheads that close in the wheel well ends and Bomb bay but back in those days there was no must for nit picking you were satisfied in what you got most of us were happy campers. Another option that monogram added is the three eyes used for hanging the model up for hanging high school of modeling back then there were no amagination for dioramas with a model this huge they assumed you are to hang up the model for display. I wouldn,t suggest hanging the model up useing these eyes on my last build I used this method a week later theys broke off the model hit the deck and it was ruined I threw it away cussing at myself. So if you are going to hang up this model dont use those molded in eyes you will see them on the pictures coming up. Here is a few pictures of my Big Buff.

Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 230
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 241
  • PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 215
  • PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 236
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 230
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 248
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 235
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 238
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 238
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 232
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 230
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 230
  • PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 225
That's going to be one big baby when done! Saw one in a diorama once - the base board was huge! There's a vac-form due out soon, from Sanger, in 1/48th scale - need a darned barn to keep it in !!

That is one big ugly......
Great choice of colors, like those different schemes!

Ahoy Paul
Thanks for your reply my man indeed she is one ugly machine but she is big bad and beautifull.. I am going to paint her up as a mothership for the X-15, All I need now is to locate a 1/72 scale X-15 and Scott Crossfield and she is good to go. Thanks Paul when done she wont be so Ugly LOLlllllllllllllllllllllllll.

Boats

WOW, this is gonna be a bigun... Should be fun to watch as I've never seen one build. Where the heck do you keep all this big kits????

Ahoy Lucky
Thanks my man for the reply come to think of it your correct I havent seen one built in any forum perhaps I will bne the first.. As to where I keep these large builds answer is here there and everywhere, Most of them are stowed in my finished basement I call it the boson locker it contains hundreds of my builds I have done. Thanks for your reply.

Boats

That's going to be one big baby when done! Saw one in a diorama once - the base board was huge! There's a vac-form due out soon, from Sanger, in 1/48th scale - need a darned barn to keep it in !!

ahoy Terry
Thanks Terry indeed she is going to be a big beast to say the least love to get my flippers on one of those at a whopping 1/48 scale I would be atleast 55 inch,s in wingspan perhaps longer. I never seen one of these 1/72 scale Buffs built up before even as a build on any forum perhaps I will be the first.. Thanks Terry your a great man..

Boats

Ahoy
Okay fellas the build has just begun on Big Buff, I decided to model Buff as mothership for the X-15 All Aluminum with white with Red and dayglo markings alot different then the vietnam version.. I seen enough vietnam B-52s durring the vietnam war nothing wrong with the camo which was the paint schedule of the war, But all aluminum and to boot as a mothership in 1960 is totally different. I had this kit for years and it is dirty need a fresh water wash down I scrubbed and cleaned the intire kit and let dry overnite before I start the build it was done last evening right after the posting.. First I stareted out spraying on the chromate green interier color, then I let dry and went back and assembled and painted thye pilots compartment the detail is very sparse and leaves alot to desire.. It needs polishing I went ahead and painted the intire pilots compartment with chromate green the head rest was painted olive drab, The pilots and tail gunner was painjted dark green as the unifo9rm of that period with white helmets, The decals were a nice touch it added a little to the pilots compartment.. To bad it can,t be seen a very little when the canopy is added, The tail gunners compartment is nothing but a locating hole for the tailgunner to be mounted to the fuselage, Another skimp job by monogram thye landing gear details are satisfactory as themselves but the landing gear wells are not closed off at the ends to represent the intire unit a complete eye sore.. to save me a head ache I went ahead and painted the landing gear struts aluminum and silver the unit was sewt aside to dry. After good cup of Joe went back abd check if I missed anything, With everything in order I proced wiith the closer of the fuselage halfs, useing ambroid liquid weld space age adhesive done the trick to close up the fuselage.

Once the fuselage is closed it left alot of uneven gaps the fit was horrible useing the back edge of a No.11 blade I scraped the joining fuselage halfs until it was even now its ready for filler. The Verticle stabilizer and horizonal stabilizer went together no sweat as they were mated to the fuselage they were a perfect fit no putty will be used.. There are parts to the kit that have fit issues and some parts that fit with no fuss, Next is the Bomb bay assembly There are two bomb bay doors they were designed to be opperable and there is two retainer plates to keep the bomb doors secured from falling off the model. Monogram desiged this for one porpose to get to the batteries in the bopmb bay that once housed a electric motor to simulate a jet engine sounf you can even see where the two screws went to secure the bomb bay.. The bomb bay is junk nothing but a floor with molded in bombs the scratch buff need to build in a new bomb bay if desired but I will make it work later in the painting session I will detail out the bomb bay but that later down the road.. I built the two wings 7 years ago that was about as far as I got before I started this build thread, The four fowler flaps are opperable monogram did a fine job detailing out the flap wells they are passable for being acurate.. Next I will fill in the gaps with filler putty and let the fuselage dry over night after the fuselage gets sanded down I will spary on a couple good coats of gray primer. Here are the update pictures of the build report.

Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 174
  • PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 194
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 188
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 234
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 193
  • PICT0006.JPG
    PICT0006.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 195
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 190
  • PICT0008.JPG
    PICT0008.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 193
  • PICT0009.JPG
    PICT0009.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 186
  • PICT0010.JPG
    PICT0010.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 195
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 192
  • PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 194
  • PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 187
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 182
  • PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 190
  • PICT0016.JPG
    PICT0016.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 187
  • PICT0017.JPG
    PICT0017.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 183
  • PICT0018.JPG
    PICT0018.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 178
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 200
  • PICT0020.JPG
    PICT0020.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 194
Got this one in the garage. I've built this one before and not only is it big, but it is heavy. Please don't do the NB-52A with X-15. Otftch has completed that one. Do the version with two Skybolt missiles under each wing. Now that would be cool. :cool:

GAM-87 Skybolt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coming along nicely so far!

Ahoy Matt
You read my mind as I was doing some research on how to convert it to the mothership there is some plastic surgery involved you have to cut out a round V on the right trailing edge of the wing so that the tail of the X-15 will pass through it to much to get involved with, besides i just learned that monogram has just re-issued their astronaut series kit of the B-52 and X-15. I am going to build her as tyhye vietnam version as I seen a million times durring the Vietnam war. Thanks Matt I will have my Ventura done today and tonite i will start on Buff.

Boats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back