<-- Mosquito FB.VI - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can only think that it's due to the Humbrol Dark Green satin which, as we have already seen, also reacted with the pencil marks.

Hmm, that's interesting Terry. I used Humbrol Dark Green 163 on this Halibag several years ago (not sure when production changed factories) and I recall some frosting when I flat coated it but managed to knock it down with buffing.

halifax web.jpg

Thanks Evan.
I'd thought about replacing the code letters, and I have some left, but it would be a big job stripping back and re-glossing etc to add the decals. The existing ones have settled, with just a couple of very small blemishes, and now that the matt coat is on, they look acceptable enough to the naked eye.

EDIT:- We were posting at the same time there Kirby !
I like the look of that Halifax.
I have had the odd problem with the 163 drying patchy - it never dries an even satin finish - but it normally evens out with the clear matt coats. In the last few years, as far as I know, the Humbrol paints have been produced in at least two, possibly three different locations, and each 'batch' has been different, with some colours like sticky tar, and others like water !
I'm fairly sure that the frosting which occurs on this particular shade is a result of the 'oily' surface of the dried paint, and even after stirring for at least ten minutes, this still manifests itself.
Have a look at my NF.XII thread, and you'll see that the same mix of matt clear has dried perfectly, this being sprayed in two light coats over MM enamels, so it's not the fault of the varnish.

Last edited:
Thanks again Andy.
If I have time, I'll try another coat of clear matt mix, but if that doesn't cure the 'patchy' problem, then I'll wait until I get some Vallejo liquid matt. I'd like to get the model finished at least - the diorama part can wait - but I can't afford to spend too much time on it now, as I really must get the other models done for 46 Sqn.
I really didn't think I'd spend 9 hours today, just getting to where it is at present !!

It always seems to take longer than you think it will. Happy belated birthday by the way Terry. Can't believe I forgot it as you have one of the easiest to remember birthdays of any one I know.

Haven't had much time for modelling today, but I sprayed another thin coat of clear matt, and at last it's starting to look almost right.
Hopefully, I'll have more time tomorrow, and might give it another thin coat, after I get the NF.XII finished.

I got another coat of clear matt sprayed earlier today, and the finish is now looking even overall, and more matt.
With the NF.XII now finished, I can now concentrate on this build and, with a bit of luck, get it wrapped up by tomorrow night (Sunday), given there are nor more problems or delays !
Back soon ............

Final matt clear coat on, canopy and door masks removed, but the canopy has yet to be cleaned of adhesive residue. The tiny white spots seen in the last pic are 'dust' from the matt clear coat on the edges of the masking tape, and can easily be brushed off.
There's a very small spot on top of the canopy, which looks like a residue of tape, but I haven't established if this is on the outside, or the inside - too tired to tackle that tonight, so I'll check it tomorrow.

Bob's Mosquito Build 295.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 296.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 297.JPG

Thanks very much chaps, it's very much appreciated.
It could be better in parts, but overall, considering the problems, and the fact that this is a 37 year old kit, I'm fairly pleased so far.
There are only a few small jobs to do, including fitting the wheel bay doors and the brass machine guns, which I might get done later today, although my arms and hands are very stiff at the moment, limiting dexterity, so I doubt I'll get it finished just yet.

thanks very much Hugh.

I intend to get back to this, and get it finished, just as soon as I make some headway with the Stirling conversion.

After 8 months sitting looking at this model, I've finally got around to doing the final 'fiddly bits'.
The kit Browning machine guns have been replaced with the excellent brass examples from 'Master', a bit of a fiddly job to align them properly, but worth the effort.
The signal lamps have been glazed, and coloured using Tamiya clear Red, Yellow and Blue, and the camera port glazing has been fitted, using a piece of clear sheet punched out using an office paper punch.
Work has started on weathering the exhaust shrouds and adding some staining, the undercarriage mudguards have been fitted, after first drilling out the lightening holes on the support brackets, and the gear doors have been fitted - another very fiddly job.
Unfortunately, the camera battery died after taking the pics below, but I hope to have more pics of the final bits and pieces either later today, or some time tomorrow. These will include the resin entry door, scratch-built windscreen wiper, props and nav lamps, and the 'Gee' whip antenna.

Bobs Mosquito Build 002.JPG
Bobs Mosquito Build 020.JPG
Bobs Mosquito Build 015.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back