<-- Mosquito FB.VI - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks my friend.
I forgot to mention - I investigated the possibility of making and fitting the Gee controller, which is a small 'switch box' which fits between the Gee indicator, and the radio shelf, on the vertical canopy frame, just above the cockpit sill.
I knocked together some scrap plastic card and rod, about the size and shape of the actual items, and temporarily tacked them in place, before placing the canopy in position. Unfortunately, once the canopy goes on, it fouls the parts, so the controller can't be made and fitted after all, which is a pity, as it's very obvious when viewed from the outside, being in the port side window,

I could try to attach it to the canopy, as per the real item, perhaps by attaching the controller 'box' to a plastic rod canopy frame, and attaching this to the canopy, using Humbrol 'Clear Fix', but even if that worked, there would be a patch of dried adhesive which, even though it dries clear, would leave an unsightly 'blob' on the otherwise crystal-clear canopy.
I'll have a think about this, and look at ways of fitting it so that it doesn't interfere with the canopy fit, doing the required work and fitting before completing the cockpit, when I build the Tamiya FB.VI, although I think it would need to be done in such a way that the positioning would not be totally accurate.

Thanks very much, Geo, Hugh and Jim.
The FB.VI is standing by for more work - today, it was the turn of the PR.IX, and I eventually got some work done, after messing about test-fitting to try to identify what was fouling the cockpit assembly.
I should be back on the FB.VI in the next day or so - jumping back and forth between the two Mossies, with the NF.XII awaiting the matt clear coat, which it should get tomorrow, if the Tamiya Flat Base has arrived at the LHS.

Me too. I've been mulling over your switch box challenge and would favour the idea of building the internal frame and attaching the box to that. It means though, that you might have to build the entire frame rather than just the one supporting the box.

Thanks Wojtek and Andy.
I've also been giving it some thought. The problem is, this should have been done at the cockpit assembly stage, as it will be rather tricky to install the controller and associated frames and wiring, as it has to fit between the Gee indicator, and the shelf, and there isn't a lot of room to work in !
However, I have seen some pics of what I think is the controller,in a different position. lower down than the 'normal' position in the cockpit window , so I might be able to make one, and fit it more or less alongside the Gee indicator - if I can gain access without wrecking everything !
I'll have a play around, and if it doesn't work, then it'll have to be left out - my fault, as I forgot until it was too late !

I haven't actually got any more done on the FB.VI, but I have spent quite a lot of time, and figured out a way of installing the Gee controller in such a way that it should look acceptable enough - and let's face it, unless it's compared to a period photo, no one would know anyway !
I've started work on making a basic representation of the controller 'box' which, although not 100% accurate, due to the fact that I can't gain access to install the wiring and the support brackets etc, should look fairly convincing.
All being well, I should have this completed, and hopefully installed, by tonight (Monday), although I want to make a mould and cast another two in resin first, as I'll need one for another FB.VI and the 'refurb' on the B.XVI.
Back soon, hopefully with some up-date pics.

As mentioned previously, I spent quite some time playing around with the Gee controller switch box, and test fitting rough examples. However, something was bugging me about the shape, style and position of the box, as shown in a photo of a restoration, so I started looking through my references again. I haven't yet found the couple of photos I've been looking for, but I did find the wiring 'exploded' diagram, showing a switch box very different from that in the original photo, and more in line with what I remember from those two photos. It also appears to be mounted in a similar location, but probably not on the canopy frame.
So, instead of messing around further, I went ahead and built, painted and installed a representation of the box, based on the diagram and my memory. It's perhaps very slightly too large, but it looks acceptable enough and, as I mentioned earlier, unless it's compared to a photo, no one will know the difference !
As an aside, I discovered that Aviaology produce a complete photo etched Gee set and accessories, for the Mosquito, but in 1/32nd scale, which apparently includes the switch box, although it's not visible in the illustration on the packaging.

Anyway, work on the fuselage is almost complete, with all the raised surface detail sanded down and re-engraved, and the frame stiffeners added at each end of the weapon bays, along with some engraved detail that was missing from this old kit. The 'Monica' tail warning fairing has also been opened up, and the Navigator's head armour made, painted, glazed and fitted, along with the reflector screen for the gun sight.
The internal frames have been added to the vac-formed canopy, and all that remains to complete this stage, is to mask and fit the canopy, and paint the external frames in the interior colour.

PICS 1 and 2. Access, bomb winch, and fuel filler hatches not present on the kit parts have been engraved, the very poorly defined rib stiffeners were sanded off and replaced by strips of 10 thou plastic card, glued in place and sanded down, and the rivet or bolt heads added, and the socket for the Trolley Ac starter cart has been drilled out, ready to accept the starter cable in the vignette diorama.
PIC 3. The housing for the 'Monica' tail warning radar has been opened up, and awaits clean-up in this pic.
PIC 4. The Gee switch box under construction, using cut-down square section tube, plastic card, channel and rod.
PIC 5. The head armour for the Navigator's seat, made from plastic card, rod and tube, and glazed with Humbrol Clear Fix.
PIC 6. The switch box painted and installed.
PIC 7. The head armour and gun sight reflector screen in place.
PIC 8. The exposed internal frames were added to the beautiful 'Rob Taurus' vac-formed canopy using the same method as described in the PR.IX thread, with painted strips of 'Sellotape'. These were sealed with Humbrol Gloss Clear acrylic varnish once bedded down.

I hope to get the canopy masked, fitted, and the frames painted either tomorrow, or over the weekend, after first doing some 'clean-up' and retouching in the areas of the cockpit where new parts have been fitted. When that's done, I'll jump back to the PR.IX, to start on the engine nacelles, and then return to this build to assemble the wings and engine nacelles and, with a bit of luck, I'll also get the matt clear coat sprayed on the NF.XII - at last.
Thanks again for looking in, and I'll be back with more soon.

Bob's Mosquito Build 202.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 203.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 205.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 199.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 206.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 210.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 212.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 207.JPG

Thanks chaps, good to know you're lookin' and likin' !

Almost at the same stage as the PR.IX now, with the vac-formed canopy masked (another long job!) and fitted, and the rim sealed, but not yet blended-in.

PIC 1. The vac-formed canopy after masking - the horizontal windscreen frame was re-masked after I took this shot, as the masking, apart from being a bit ragged along the top edge, wasn't aligned properly with the three screen retaining flanges which protrude down onto the screen.
PICS 2 and 3. The canopy was first fixed in place with Humbrol Clear Fix, to allow some movement when positioning, and then small drops of CA were applied at various points around the rim. Once set, more Clear fix was applied around the periphery, to seal the joints and show only the interior colour when looking though from the outside, the paint being the next step, after first sanding the joint, using 1200 grit wet and dry, used dry.
PIC 4. The frames and rim were then painted in the interior colour of RAF Cockpit Grey Green, lightened slightly for 'scale', with the paint deliberately overlapping onto the fuselage, in order to reveal any gaps or uneven surfaces. It looks a bit 'rough' here, but should end up having a smooth joint all around the base of the vac-formed part.
PIC 5. Before the paint had fully set, the excess was scraped off the fuselage, and a further thin application of Clear Fix was fed into any gaps or 'pin holes', with a heavier application under the joint at the base of the windscreen, again to ensure only the interior colour will be visible on the inside. Once paint and Clear Fix had set, another light sanding revealed a quite reasonable joint, which will only need a minimal amount of 'Milliput', mainly at the base of the windscreen, in order to blend-in the canopy to the fuselage.
Considering this canopy is designed for use with the Tamiya kit, and allowing for the quite marked differences in shape between the two kits, I'm quite pleased with the fit so far, and confident that it will look fine when finally filled and blended.
PIC 6. How the model looks so far, alongside it's photographic cousin.

I hope to get the canopy finished off some time over the weekend, and then move back to the PR.IX for a while, to sort out those engine nacelles.
Thanks again for all the kind words.

Bob's Mosquito Build 213.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 214.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 216.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 217.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 219.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 222.JPG

Thanks chaps.
I'm away from home for a couple of days, so no further progress - should be back at it either Monday or Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back