<-- Mosquito FB.VI - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps.
Yes Andy, as Wojtek stated, there are various dyes or pigments which can be added, either for translucent colouring, or a 'solid', opaque finish. A quick look on-line will bring up a few outlets, some of which have some useful 'How to' videos.
The stuff I used was a two-part polyurethane resin, with one part already coloured that cream colour, and it's a 'fast cast resin', the type most commercial resin accessories are made from.
I've seen the same stuff, in the videos, on American / Canadian web-sites, so it should be easy to find if you decide to get some, and it's not too expensive either - my 'kit' cost around £9 or £10, from memory, which included a tub of RTV silicone mould material, and the bottle of catalyst, plus the two 125 g bottles of the resin, which is enough to make hundreds of small parts.
In addition, I've just got, last week, a spray bottle of mould release agent, costing around £6, more to protect the 'masters' than anything else, although with the small size, and regular shape of those, I probably didn't need the release agent. The spray should last ages, as, although three coats are recommended, presumably for larger, more complex shapes, I only gave the 'masters' one quick spray, which was a quick burst, as the parts are so small, and it was immediately evident that was enough !

You're welcome Andy.

I've done a little more on the FB.VI, although there's nothing to show yet, as it's been mainly prep work for fitting the 'Gee' equipment.
I'll post some pics probably late tomorrow afternoon.
Meanwhile, I've got a bit done on the photo-recce bird too and I'll be posting pics in that thread shortly.

Thanks Geo.

I've been working on the resin parts, cleaning them up a bit, ready for adding the wiring, and then painting.
Now that I've had a closer look, and removed the small amount of flash, I'm quite pleased with the way they've turned out, with the details replicated almost perfectly, including an angled cable connector, which I bent around the corner of the 'box' on the R/F unit 'master'.
Considering this is the first time I've moulded anything more complex than simple shapes, with these latest attempts having fairly small details included, I'm more than happy at the results.
As usual, Christmas has suddenly caught me out, and I'm dashing around doing last minute things, and have to go out to a 'do' tonight, so I might not get any more done until Friday, and over the Christmas weekend.
But I'll be back with another up-date soon, when I hope to show the 'Gee' installation painted, detailed and installed in the cockpit.

Thanks again to all for the continued interest.

Well the resin parts have been cleaned-up, painted, and the wiring fitted, and are now installed on the spar alongside the Navigator's seat, with the other 'boxes' for the receiver and R/F unit on the 'shelf' behind the seat, and the cockpit assembly is now fitted into the port fuselage half.
The angle of the 'Gee' indicator unit isn't quite accurate, due to the limitations of the kit parts, mainly the thickness of the Navigator's back armour (which I now wish I'd filed down to a more scale thickness, or replaced with a scratch-built item), and the physical ability to fit the parts exactly as the original, but it looks convincing enough and, once the canopy is in place, it shouldn't be too noticeable.

PICS 1 and 2. The 'Gee' equipment painted, wired, and fitted to the spar and 'shelf'.
PICS 3 and 4. The cockpit assembly cemented into the port fuselage half.
PIC 5. Before the cockpit assembly set, the fuselage halves were taped together, to check alignment of the floor and bulkheads.
PIC 6. The beautifully moulded vac-formed canopy has been loosely placed in position, just to ensure there's clearance between the canopy and the top of the Pilot's seat armour.
PIC 7. A view showing just how crystal-clear the vac-formed canopy is.

There should really be a control unit console, fitted above and between the 'Gee' indicator unit and the rear 'shelf' which, on the real aircraft, was attached to the canopy frame, just above the base of the side glazing. I could easily fabricate this, but I doubt if it would be physically possible to attach it, without marring the appearance of the canopy, as, of course, there isn't an actual frame on the vac-formed canopy.
I might be able to mount it to a vertical rod, attached to the fuselage near the rim of the cockpit, if it will attach without fouling the inside of the canopy, and stay in position when the canopy is fitted. I'll do a bit of experimenting, and if it doesn't work, then I'll have to omit the control unit.
Anyway, once that's sorted, one way or the other, next step is to paint and fit the gun sight and tail wheel assembly, and then join the fuselage halves, followed by the bottom panel and nose cone, then do some remedial work, filling some sink marks, and sanding down some surface detail, to be re-engraved, as well as establish the best way to fit the brass .303 mg's, and when - now, or after painting the model.
I'll be back soon with another up-date, but meanwhile, I hope you all have a great Christmas, with those dear to you, and keep an eye on the News - just in case Jan gets up to no good !!

Bob's Mosquito Build 148.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 152.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 158.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 160.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 163.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 169.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 171.JPG

Thanks very much chaps.
Unbeknown to me, until too late, the cockpit assembly had slid forward about 1.5 mm before it set. Not a lot I can do about it now, unless I can somehow free the joint lines without damaging anything, so it'll have to stay as is. It's only really noticeable with the instrument panel being a bit too far beneath the coaming, so maybe I can trim that down instead.

Went for a bit of a rest yesterday afternoon, before going out to the pub last night, as I was aching quite a lot. Fell asleep, missed the pub, and woke up properly at 03.00 hrs !!
Might get some more done some time today, as I haven't got any other plans.

Well, I didn't get much done on Christmas day, as I got interrupted three times, including a friend calling in, for the second time, just as I sat down to my Christmas dinner!
The insensitive sod didn't even realise he was intruding, and stayed for well over an hour, despite the strong hints I was giving !
Anyway, I eventually got some work done late today (er ... morning !), and I was pleased to be able to free the cockpit assembly without causing any damage, and relocate it where it should have been in the first place.
The tail wheel has been assembled, painted and fitted, and the gun sight (not a very good representation) had the reflector screen removed, was painted, and fitted into the cockpit coaming, before joining the fuselage halves.
A new reflector screen will be made from clear sheet, and fitted before the canopy is glued in place, to avoid damage when handling.
Some work was needed to get a reasonable fit on the lower (cannon) panel, and the spent case and links ejector ports were opened up before eventually fitting the panel to the lower fuselage.
The nose cone had a hole drilled for the gun camera, and a 'back stop' was made and fitted, to support the brass .303 machine guns, which will be fitted after painting the model.

PIC 1. Tail wheel and gun sight in place, and the fuselage joined.
PIC 2. Work under way engraving the tactical camera access hatch, and countersinking the holes for the signal lamps. A third lamp is positioned just aft of the bomb bay, on the starboard side. These will be painted silver, and then glazed and painted in transparent red, amber, and green, once the model has been painted and the matt clear coat applied.
PIC 3. The kit lower panel (bottom) is moulded in a very hard, thick plastic, which has a glazed look to it, and was difficult to sand or drill - rather like trying to drill ceramics - so the spare panel from the 'extra' parts in the PR.XVI kit was used instead. This needed to be filed around the front edges, on the inside, to try to improve the fit. It's designed to sit slightly 'proud' of the underside, to replicate the fit of the panel on the real aircraft, but the kit part would not 'sit down' properly, and needed quite a lot of sanding to help it fit, albeit poorly, hence the substitution of the 'spare' panel.
PICS 4 and 5. Drilling out the spent case and links ejector ports, before cutting and filing to final shape, I'd considered drilling-out the cannon ports, and fitting the brass cannon muzzles that come with the machine guns, but the shallow 'troughs', and thick plastic on the opposite side, made this almost impossible, without the risk of damage to the surrounding area, so the moulded parts will be carefully painted to improve their appearance.
PIC 6. The nose cone had the gun camera port drilled-out, and the fit of the brass guns, two of which are shown here, was checked, for alignment and depth.
PIC 7. As the fuselage area immediately behind the nose cone is empty, a 'back stop' for the machine guns was fabricated from plastic channel and strip, and glued into the nose cone, the joint being reinforced with CA adhesive. Holes were then drilled into this, using the gun port apertures as a drilling guide. When fitted, the guns will slot into these holes, and the channel will support the guns, which will be fixed with spots of CA.
PIC 8. After first fitting the nose cone, the lower panel was coaxed into place and cemented around the edges, with the frontal joint being reinforced with CA. There's still a gap, which looks worse in the photo than it really is, and this will be filled and sanded, along with the nose and nose cone joint, when the parts have fully set.

Given I don't have any more visitors tomorrow, I hope to get a lot more done, and hopefully some more on the PR.IX too - back soon.

Bob's Mosquito Build 172.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 183.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 180.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 184.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 185.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 178.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 179.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 189.JPG

Thanks Wojtek, Wayne and Andy (that well-known firm of lawyers !).
Got those gaps filled - I think the cockpit additions were pushing-out the fuselage sides slightly, causing the poor fit of the lower panel.
I've also filled a few sink marks, the largest being on the starboard fuselage, just under the cockpit rim, caused by the fuel gauge console moulding on the inside.
The raised detail on the hatches, bomb and cannon bay doors and nose gun hatch has been sanded down, and the panel lines and hatch lines engraved, as well as engraving the circular signal lamp housings. Just need to do some light sanding, go over a couple of the engraved areas, then clean and polish the fuselage.
Next step is to fit the reflector sight screen, and make and fit the Navigator's head armour, before adding the canopy internal frames, masking the canopy, and then fitting it to the cockpit.

The pics show the gap beneath the nose filled, and the various filled sink marks and engraved hatches and panel lines. The model looks a bit dirty in the pics, due to the residue of wet 'Milliput', which has since been cleaned off.
After working with a magnifying glass for a few hours, my eyes are now having trouble focusing normally, so I'm going to have a break, and get back to the bench some time tomorrow, with some work on the PR.IX, before tackling the long and tricky job of masking the vac-formed canopy.
Thanks again for your continued interest and encouraging comments, and I'll be back tomorrow.

Bob's Mosquito Build 191.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 192.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 194.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 193.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 196.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back