Most Accurate War Film

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm certain that you could hear them. It is the magnitude that you wrote about that I take issue with. Perhaps, I'm just being my nerdy engineer self. Certainly the sirens were not louder than a yelling squad mate at those attack ranges. But I can tell you that as long as I could hear them, it certainly would be unnerving. Probably make you keep your head down and reluctant to return fire too.

I just threw "Red October" in there as a movie that while not 'historically' accurate at least was made very well and had a very good 'suspension of belief' factor to it. kinda like "Ice Station Zebra".

It was definitely a good movie. Book was better. Kinda like the movie, "We Were Young. And We Were Soldiers." Good movie. Awesome book. In fact, the best part of the book was the appendix detailing where all the characters currently resided.

Speaking of books and movies, think "Red Storm Rising" was a great book but would be very hard to make into a movie. Talk about your cast of thousands.

While there are plenty of movies that are historically accurate or just good movies, I really can not say what movie is them most accurate war movie. I dont think Hollywood can ever accuaratly capture the horrors of war on film.

True Chris but they can only go so far in doing it. I don't think they will ever get it spot on as nothing made can every equal the real thing. Now as to realistic war movies for me it would be Das Boot (the original) and Band of Brothers although there are others that are still historically accurate but don't capture the feelings/emotions as well as those two do.

"cross of iron" was great for it's time.

eastern front.. T-34's.. gotta love it:

I'm suprised how few people have seen it... dont bother renting it... just buy it!

Cross of Iron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• 200px-Cross_Iron.jpg
    200px-Cross_Iron.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 251
  • T-34.jpg
    T-34.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 838
God I can't believe I don't remember that movie. I was creature of habit. Every Saturday, watching Ultra Man, Outer Limits, Creature Feature, and some war movie.

Ah, good times.

Matt, reminding me of college. Hitting the Rathskellar at noon to eat lunch, drink a ton of beer and watch "Creature DoubleFeature". Inevitable, it would be Godzilla doing the "Tokyo Stomp" followed by Frankenstien.

How anybody ever got caugh by Frankenstien still amazes me. The dude was so slow, he couldn't outrun continental drift. But he always caught a couple of guys (throttled them) and ended up kidnapping the babe. She escapes (with the help of the hero, who was usually not really very cool) and Frank does a header off a cliff or something.

Forgot most of what I learned in college, I do remember that.

What about the Big Red One? Aside from the Shermans-with-bits-on-them posing as Panzers, it seems very accurate in terms of the experiences of a small squad. The director served in that unit in WW2, so he certainly knew what he was doing. Saints and soldiers is another one, a very good film with only the annoyingly cliched British character counting against it.

Come and See is supposed to be really good as well - ordered it of eBay the other dya and am looking forward to watching it

You can historically portray a conflict but you can not portray the true horrors. In order to do that you have to smell it, breath it, live it.

Much safer to do so in the movies though.

Heard Sam Fuller (the guy who wrote and directed "The Big Red One") talk about making a war movie. Fuller was in the 1st Division during the war (from North Africa to the Death Camps) and had always had problems making movies for the point Adler just made. Can't live it, breath it, ect. He said (paraphrasing), "The only way to make a real war movie is to have somebody shooting at the audience from behind the screen while the movie is being shown".

Haven't seen this Korean film about two brothers in Korean War, but it was compared heavily to Saving Private Ryan with respect to the effects and realism.

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo

I think in the US it went by Tae Guk Gi.

Haven't seen this Korean film about two brothers in Korean War, but it was compared heavily to Saving Private Ryan with respect to the effects and realism.

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo

I think in the US it went by Tae Guk Gi.

Saw it. Ok movie. Out on DVD at Art House movie stores. A lot of drama in the movie. Too much after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back