Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For me the Fokker G.I is the best looking plane ever, but of course I'm Dutch.
Second, the Hawker Hurricane, which looks better than the spit in some ways.
I like the Spitfire (but only the merlin versions) and the He112 as well. Can anyone explain why they had elliptical wings (apart from looking great of course).

I might be wrong, but I think I may remember from aero classes back in the day that elliptical wings offer the best lift vs drag, all other factors remaining constant. They also have nasty stall characteristics, with stalls beginning at tips and rapidly moving throughout - but there are other methods of overcoming this tendency.

Of course - manufacturing is complicated and more costly with elliptical wings, which is why tapered wings became popular...

Thanks, I was wondering this quite some time. But another question. At one time, they clipped the Spitfire's wings, for increased roll rates. Did this overcome the stall problems as well?

Mighty nice looking planes, guys! but...
You can't beat this one:

iArt7

=============== Fictional Paint Scheme of RAAF Hellcat ===============

Thanks, I was wondering this quite some time. But another question. At one time, they clipped the Spitfire's wings, for increased roll rates. Did this overcome the stall problems as well?

I think it was pretty much the same at the low altitudes the CW versions were intended for, but was probably worse at higher altitudes- same speed, thinner air, less wing area. Better roll performance but probably slightly worse stall/spin characteristics.

I know in flight sims they are usually great down low and really tricky up high, but those are by no means real life. Our Spit XVI.LF in Aces High is a monster on the deck but handles like a one legged rollerblader on ice above 15K.

Users who are viewing this thread