Movie, "Thin Red Line."

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

meatloaf109

1st Lieutenant
Jan 1, 2012
north carolina
My wife bought it for me on DVD. I have tried to watch it a couple of times, but can't get through it. Too whiney.. or something.
Any thoughts?

I liked it.

My Dad fought at Guadalcanal, Marines, not Army though.

My Dad was a country boy, like me, and even in the middle of a hellish war he still admired the beauty of the country, mountains, and even the jungle. Though the discomforts of the climate made it hard for most people to appreciate it.
He also recalled how when you're not actively engaged in fighting you do anything to disengage you're mind from where you are. Some got drunk, some emerged themselves in letters from home, or just thinking of home.
The one scene where the guy looks like he's so out of his mind scared he's about to run off the mountain, but instead charges the MG bunker, was priceless.
Sometimes good men die, sometimes good men have their limits, and sometimes good officers can't distance themselves enough from their men to USE them. I think The Thin Red Line showed that effectively
I've read the book too, the movie is completely different, but they always are.

The officers disagreeing violently, I've seen myself.

It might be a little too cerebral, or artsy-fartsy for most, but I liked it much more than Saving Private Ryan, and there was certainly fewer technical flaws in it than SPR.

Last edited:
Not sure I've managed to watch it all the way through either, it has been a while since I last watched it.

However I do find I have the same problem with some books that I've just never managed to get into enough to finish them, just one of those things I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back