Mustang Mania

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N51Z.jpg

N51Z

A P-51A. Now there is something you do not see every day. Captured in 2007 at Columbus Ohio. As the link shows, she now carries a very different c/s.

Cheers

Jeff

N51ZM.jpg

N51ZM

Another gathering of Mustangs bird from September 2007 in Columbus Ohio.

Cheers

Jeff

Got a little story about Old Yeller, Bob Hoover and Merlins Magic, owned and flown by Stu Eberhardt as Race 22.
Way back when? Hoover was flying CAP at Reno. He came in, landed and did a waving roll past the stands heading for the parking area. He was waving, everyone was waving back. He waved some more the crowd stood up and waved their arms frantically at him and he just waved some more. That is until I am sure he felt a terrible jerking, jumping and thumping!!!!!! Seems a pickup truck was parked in His taxi line, more like in his Path! Well.... as it came to pass he sliced and diced that new pickup in nice even slices from front bumper thru the cab, front to back, a little to the right of center actaully. Needless to say it was a real addition to the Show. Next day Old Yeller was referred to as the "Hoover Matic". I have a feeling Bob was a little embarrassed.

Now Race 22 was in a heat, out "on the track" had a little waggle up there, needed to stand on the rudder peddles as I recall him telling us in recounting the event! Seems he lost his trim tab in the rudder, can't imagine what that was like. He managed to land, taxi and park. His race weekend was over....... or was it. Didn't hear how he ended up with the rudder from the Hoover Matic, I can only imagine Bob volunteered it's use, he was that kind of man. But there it is, not many pictures of it around. When Stu had a new rudder fabricated, sans trim tab, he had it painted yellow to show how much he appreciated a fellow pilot loaning him a rudder from a P-51 to get him thru the weekend, and home.

By the way, I did the nose art on #22, way back when I was doing sign painting in the States. Met Bob a couple of times. I used to hang out at LVK, Livermore CA airport. Stu was a good man. He flew F-86's in Korea. That's the Tail of the yellow rudder!
BH_N51RH.jpg
MM-P-51.jpg

N93TF.JPG

N93TF

Seen here in Sarnia Ontario. This was the only time I have seen this airframe. It was involved in a fatal crash a couple of years later ( 2003 ) It was rebuilt, is registered as OO-RYL and still appears in the same colour scheme.

This is the last post for a week or so. I leave for Mexico very early tomorrow morning. See you when I get back.

Cheers

Jeff

Good shots Jeff!

I'm enjoying this thread. I've been photographing Mustangs for half a century. I have known many of the birds seen here. Maybe I should start another Mustang photo thread some time.

Diamondback has quite a history -- she was once the most exotic racer of the time. Doghouse removed, radiators in the wings, weighing something like 5600 pounds. It was a sad day for fans of speed when the owner threw away all the racing bits and made her a TF. So she is lovely but with a tragic past (for Race fans anyway). The present owner is a great guy, though. He really enjoys sharing his passion.

Attachments

• _MA73631  Nikonians.jpg
    _MA73631 Nikonians.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 16
  • _N3N2603   wix.jpg
    _N3N2603 wix.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back