Mustang Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
Hey guys... I some questions regarding a future project. I want to build a Malcom-hood Mustang for a friend of mine. I've got a couple of schemes that I'm interested in...

3_25.jpg

Part_3_p.1_fs.jpg

Or maybe...
RAF_Bottisham_-_361st_Fighter_Group_-_P-51B_Mustang_42-106875.jpg

Part_4_p.2_fs.jpg

Both of these aircraft are designated as P-51B's. Tamiya offers a 1/48 P-51B but it doesn't have the Malcolm hood.
tam_61042_title.jpg

Th Tamiya Mustand III has the Malcolm hood...
10002326.jpg

My question is... can I model a P-51B using the Tamiya Mustang III kit? Are there any differences (outside of the canopy) between a P-51B and a Mustang III? I'm hoping to use the Mustang III kit and minimizing the need the need to get an aftermarket canopy.

The RAF Mustang III is just nothing more than the P-51B/C with the Malcolm hood. As memo serves of course. So.. yes, you can. You may need a different radio set for the RAF variant.

Last edited:
I have a Tamiya Mustang III in my stash, and there is only one clear tree with both canopy types in the box: framed and Malcolm hood as alternative parts. I'm pretty sure there is no construction differences between these two Tamiya kits except decals. So, you can take any of these kit.

Yep, I agree with Karl. However, note that the 'Malcolm' hood doesn't quite fit over the fuselage properly, if posed in the open position.
I used a spare from the old Monogram kit on my ICM P-51B (Mustang III), which did fit properly.
The ICM kits include both canopies, although the 'framed' canopy is in one piece.
Note also, the hood did not have a frame, apart from the runners, a mistake often found on models.

I based my assumption on a review at Cybermodeler which showed this clear sprue for the Tamiya P-51B. It didn't mention the Malcolm hood but the sprue appears to have been broken.
tam_61042_parts3.jpg

Here is another picture of the same sprue from another review of the Tamiya P-51B with the Malcolm hood.
0007.jpg

It makes sense that the P-51B and Mustang III are the same kit with different decals given the lack of differences between the two. I guess I can shop for either kit.

The last pic shows what I got in my Tamiya P-51B kit. Malcolm Hood included but only as an integral piece with the windscreen, not separate.

Somewhere, I have a mould I made some years back, for moulding 'Malcolm' hoods. If you want one John, let me know, and I'll see if I can find it - I think I know where it is !

Thanks guys! I probably don't need anything outside of the kit canopy as I am intending to have the canopy closed anyway. But thanks for the offer Terry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back