My Curtiss Flying boat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kyushuj7w

Airman 1st Class
You guys have swiss watch level model makers. I saw a curtis section so I'll add my attempt at the Curtis Flying boat. I use a Hobby Master Stand for the pics.

This was my very first attempt at a model this size and attempt at rigging. I also tried some scratch building of the interior but that all gets hidden. Drove me nuts. :banghead:

I have a stack of WW1 bomber bomber kits mocking me everytime I go down into the basement. Come on, don't be chicken :)

finalh-16a_zps5ff22fe1 (1).jpg

rearrig_zps02d81a35 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea but it was many hours, sometime working all day for several days, you know how you can get into a zone and it does not feel like work. That was before my grandson was born. I do not have that time today as we watch him every day while my daughter works. I tried a lot of new things on this one. The interior has a navigators table complete with map , fuel tanks and other adders that just get covered but I thought I'd give that a try. I must have torn the engines and their mountings apart 4 times. The rigging is music wire cut to length. Well over 100 plus wires. Some people are really talented and can do turnbuckles and drill holes to literally lace the thing up. The wire splicing for the rear horizontal stabilizers were a real trial . Roden kits are not easy IMO but in this case they are the only game in town for many WW1 subjects. I have to admit it put me off going after the Muromets and Stakken kits I have in the stash. I was really happy with it and then that damn cat jumped on the shelf. I was on the computer and the wife comes in to sit next to me to ask something. I said watch the cat as he follows her everywhere and leaps up where ever she is to be petted. Oh he won't bother any thing :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back