my diorama idea? need help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mentorima

Recruit
Aug 25, 2008
Ive been set a challenge at my local squadron for making a Diorama. Im not too amazing with this type of model making. I have made models before but not at diorama level. My idea is to have a battle of britain idea, as im english it gives me great honour to making such a idea, but im wanting to make sure that it is actually "classed" as a diorama before making it.

My idea to to make a setting of the white cliffs of dover with obviously the sea gooing up the the cliffs.

Im going to have a German bomber being attacked by two Hurricanes and a BF109 and a spitfire fighting elsewhere on the setting. Obviously the setting is going to make the mark but having 5 aircraft battling about 1 foot off of the board is this acceptable? Would love to hear your ideas asap because I have one solid month to build it!

Getting a clear YES! would allow me to build straight away! Will be documenting my build too

Hallo Mentorima,

Very interesting idea and I'm sure the diorama will look great.But you have to decide firstly of what scale these models should be.And then adjust the diorama dimensions to that.These models can be 1 foot about the board there is no limit to that.Also you can set them at different "altitudes" What are you going to use for putting them at the flight level?

I'm with Heinz. 1/144 would probably be best. You could make something like a shadow box. Instead of trying to actually make the cliffs, you could get a pic of the Dover cliffs and set it as a back drop. For the water, in the far away past I have used painted alum foil or there are some clear putty that you can sculp into waves etc., Maybe some with ship modeling experience here knows what I'm talking about.

Doesn't seem to be such a bad project, though. Not too hard. Good luck!

You sure are going to need some space to have 5 aircraft doin' their stuff....
Agree that 1/144 would be good size wise...but availability of all the aircraft will probably mean 1/72.....most likely the easiest to get, especially when you are on a time limit!

Good luck with your project mate.

I agree, 1/144 scale models can be a compromise on the diorama dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back