My JG44 190D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bdefen

Senior Airman
Nov 26, 2019
Boise, Idaho USA
Bought this kit a couple months ago:
P1180001.JPG

Wanted to do a JG44 190D, so I got the EagleCals JG44 decal set:
small EC14 instr1.jpg

small insert ec14 copy.jpg

Since my model, the 190D-10, was a test prototype, and didn't have a combat/famous pilot provenance, or a series production (and the larger tail of the TA-152), a bit of "interpretation" was needed. The 190D-10 had its cowl guns removed. This change most closely resembled "Red 4" of JG44, so that's the one I'd build. It's my understanding that "Red 4" had been retrofitted to "D-13" specs.
Assembly and painting began:
PC280001.JPG

PC280002.JPG

PC310002.JPG

I had originally planned on painting the white stripes on the underside, but when the EagleCal decals came with stripe decals, I figured I'd use those instead. That decision changed when the stripe decals began falling apart as I began that process. (Let me be clear, I don't want to badmouth EagleCals. They were great about promptly sending me a legible decal placement guide via email when the guide include with the decals was very blurry. Their prompt customer service was great, and the rest of their JG44 decals were just fine.)
So I painted the stripes.
P1060001.JPG

P1060005.JPG

Seemed to make sense to position the landing gear covers and paint them in place to ensure the stripes were in the right place. Touch up was necessary.
P1060008.JPG

Continued with painting. And then weathering, dark wash. I want to give credit for inspiration to JKim and his masterpiece JG44 190D "Red 1". What a gifted artist! I did use his chalk pastel and water formula for the dark wash on this model. Thank you! My model comes nowhere near the precision and beauty of his work. I've got plenty to aspire to. See it here:

(1) Hasegawa 1/32 Fw190D-9 | Page 13 | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums

I got it finished today, not without breaking off the tailwheel while installing the horizontal stabilizers. Also, there was no way my shaky hands and fingers were ever going to install the wingtip lights.....they were about the size of a pin head. So I touched a bit of red and green enamel onto the spots, and progressively daubed little bits of Testors Clear Parts Glue and Window Maker to create the "lenses". Not perfect, but it works as "suggestive" of the real article. I also feel I lost too much of the Hellblau on the fuselage sides as I tried to blend in the upper wing colors. So I'll accept any comments.

I enjoyed the build, the research of the history of the bird, and looking at the other examples of models. Thanks to all.
P1180002.JPG
P1180006.JPG
P1180005.JPG
P1180012.JPG
P1180016.JPG
P1180022.JPG
P1180009.JPG
P1180010.JPG
P1180014.JPG

Bought this kit a couple months ago:
View attachment 609418

Wanted to do a JG44 190D, so I got the EagleCals JG44 decal set:
View attachment 609419
View attachment 609437
Since my model, the 190D-10, was a test prototype, and didn't have a combat/famous pilot provenance, or a series production (and the larger tail of the TA-152), a bit of "interpretation" was needed. The 190D-10 had its cowl guns removed. This change most closely resembled "Red 4" of JG44, so that's the one I'd build. It's my understanding that "Red 4" had been retrofitted to "D-13" specs.
Assembly and painting began:
View attachment 609422
View attachment 609423
View attachment 609424
I had originally planned on painting the white stripes on the underside, but when the EagleCal decals came with stripe decals, I figured I'd use those instead. That decision changed when the stripe decals began falling apart as I began that process. (Let me be clear, I don't want to badmouth EagleCals. They were great about promptly sending me a legible decal placement guide via email when the guide include with the decals was very blurry. Their prompt customer service was great, and the rest of their JG44 decals were just fine.)
So I painted the stripes.
View attachment 609425
View attachment 609426
Seemed to make sense to position the landing gear covers and paint them in place to ensure the stripes were in the right place. Touch up was necessary.
View attachment 609427

Continued with painting. And then weathering, dark wash. I want to give credit for inspiration to JKim and his masterpiece JG44 190D "Red 1". What a gifted artist! I did use his chalk pastel and water formula for the dark wash on this model. Thank you! My model comes nowhere near the precision and beauty of his work. I've got plenty to aspire to. See it here:

(1) Hasegawa 1/32 Fw190D-9 | Page 13 | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums

I got it finished today, not without breaking off the tailwheel while installing the horizontal stabilizers. Also, there was no way my shaky hands and fingers were ever going to install the wingtip lights.....they were about the size of a pin head. So I touched a bit of red and green enamel onto the spots, and progressively daubed little bits of Testors Clear Parts Glue and Window Maker to create the "lenses". Not perfect, but it works as "suggestive" of the real article. I also feel I lost too much of the Hellblau on the fuselage sides as I tried to blend in the upper wing colors. So I'll accept any comments.

I enjoyed the build, the research of the history of the bird, and looking at the other examples of models. Thanks to all.
View attachment 609428View attachment 609429View attachment 609430View attachment 609431View attachment 609432View attachment 609433View attachment 609434View attachment 609436View attachment 609438
Very unusual colour scheme, great model
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back