My most moving moment ever.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Old Wizard.
I know the site very well, I have visited it with the Old Boys many times, also for people who do not know, it took 11 years to build, and the statues are x2 the size of people, and the figure is a lady looking out over the ridge waiting forlornly for her sons to come home, of the Canadians that eventually took the ridge, that 10,602 were wounded, 3,598 were killed and that there were 20.000 German Casualties, also there are 11,285 Canadian lads missing, within 16 kilometers radius of the monument, there are over 7,000 Canadian boys buried, in over 30 cemetaries, God Bless Them. also that the Canadian Government bought a tree for every soldier that had fallen, and that is the forest around the Vimmy Ridge Memorial today, and if a tree dies, the Canadian Government buys a new one. Sorry wizard, I do appologise,you are probably aware of this history, just thought it would be inetersting for the guys who didnt know the history of Vimmy.
Regards
tankie

Not speakin for Wiz, but I for one did NOT know all of that. Thanks for the info, Tankie!

For all of those who gave, and for those who gave all...:salute:

Gentlemen.
I must appologize to you all who read my original post, I stated that there were 48,000 crosses, I am sorry that was wrong, it was due to my wife mathering that her car needed a 48,000 mile service, my fault Duhhhh, I have now corrected the grave numbers, they number 9,387 and the garden to the missing numbers 1,557. I am sorry.
Regards
tankie

reading these sorts of posts restores my faith in humans. There are still people around that are respectful and understanding of the sacrifices made.

Hi Old Wizard.
I know the site very well, I have visited it with the Old Boys many times, also for people who do not know, it took 11 years to build, and the statues are x2 the size of people, and the figure is a lady looking out over the ridge waiting forlornly for her sons to come home, of the Canadians that eventually took the ridge, that 10,602 were wounded, 3,598 were killed and that there were 20.000 German Casualties, also there are 11,285 Canadian lads missing, within 16 kilometers radius of the monument, there are over 7,000 Canadian boys buried, in over 30 cemetaries, God Bless Them. also that the Canadian Government bought a tree for every soldier that had fallen, and that is the forest around the Vimmy Ridge Memorial today, and if a tree dies, the Canadian Government buys a new one. Sorry wizard, I do appologise,you are probably aware of this history, just thought it would be inetersting for the guys who didnt know the history of Vimmy.
Regards
tankie

Vimy was the battle in which Canada grew up. We had a brilliant General...Curry who would only accept an order for an attack if he was given enough time to prepare for it.
Here's more on Curry:
Arthur Currie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back