My other passion....Japanese Sports Cars (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No prob.:) I may not know much about the airbourne Mustang but the landbased one I can talk about ever since I owned a '67 fastback. One of my few regrets ever selling that beauty!

For all those who are tempted by an Italian car, I spent all afternoon trying to work out why the driver's window wasn't working, fixed the electrics, only for the door catch to snap, so I now have to open the door from the outside until I can find a replacement. Great fun..........

I am still half tempted by getting the previous shape Mustang; of course it would have to be the V8 and would have to be a manual. Anyone know if these cars are actually quick?

No prob.:) I may not know much about the airbourne Mustang but the landbased one I can talk about ever since I owned a '67 fastback. One of my few regrets ever selling that beauty!
When I was younger had a 66 but it fell in the river . Worst car I ever owned so bad I became a reasonable shade tree mechanic

That had the jinx worked out by '67 and then changed again in '69.

Neg, still learning about the new ones but my inderstanding is be careful with the trans as the new ones (i.e. when they first came out) are alittle slow and not meshed well with the engine. But they've been straightened out.

I am still half tempted by getting the previous shape Mustang; of course it would have to be the V8 and would have to be a manual. Anyone know if these cars are actually quick?

I think they are actually pretty crap cars, from memory they sound great and look stylish but dont really add up on the road. Performance isnt anything to write home about. Im sure if you spent money on it, it could move alright!!!

The original mustangs are beauties I love them, great cars. Heinz we should show these US boys what Australian muscle cars about. As much as I dont really love them and would never own one I do respet some of them.

The Phase 3 Falcon GTHO. It dominated production car racing in Australia and pulled a 14.2 1/4 mile which was fast for its day. It could handle as well for a muscle car, hence the HO (handling option).

Attachments

• GTHO.jpg
    GTHO.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 353
  • falcon_xygtho.jpg
    falcon_xygtho.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 943
I should also add that Phase 3 GTHO's are worth an absolute fortune now!!! You would be stoked if you could find any GTHO for under 250k.

One for you Heinz the GTR XU1 Torana. Oh and the R32 Skyline GTR which were sold in AUS in limited numbers so they could compete in local production car racing. These cars were absolute beasts and decimated the competition. Nothing could touch them, especially not at Bathurst. These cars have become infamous for their role in destroying production car racing in AUS. Sorry Heinz but the local manufacturers Ford and Holden were thrashed so hard by the GTR that the fans became angered and frustrated and the series changed to a Two make Holden vs Ford series, which while entertaining isnt as good as the old days.

Attachments

• GeorgesXU-1.jpg
    GeorgesXU-1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 212
  • GTR XU1.jpg
    GTR XU1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 211
  • BathGTR.jpg
    BathGTR.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 203
  • Nissan_Skyline_R32_Bathurst_front_quarter.jpg
    Nissan_Skyline_R32_Bathurst_front_quarter.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 523
Nice torries!
Your forgetting the Sierras that murdered everything in the late 80s and early 90s. Mark Skaife did when his first Bathurst in a Skyline though which I dont mind :lol:

however I bring your attention too

8octhol8.jpg

the 7 litre beast which against the worlds best around Bathurst for 24hours won out right in 2003, and 2004. Its a shame they stopped that race.

Ahhh yes the nations cup monaro. That really wasn't in the same league as competitors though, the others were stock supercars while the Monaro was a prototype 7ltr that was never put in production. I remeber at the Clipsal 500 it went from 4th to 1st of the line through sheer power was a joke hahahh. Was a fair effort but not sure how fair it was oh well.

Yeh cant forget the Sierra the original giant killer, however it wasnt a jap car hahah but still gets respect for being turbo 4 cyclinder

of coures im not whinging I think the Monaro has been quite a nice car!!! And the Alan Moffat championship winning RX7 ran a 13B in its later stages when in AUS the car was only released with a 12a. Although the US model had a 13B:shock:

Oh sorry for multiple posts, but the I believe Mazda Australia won the 24hr race in similar circumstances in successive years against similar opposition with the limited SP model which went into production, although limited.

It didnt blow them away like the Monaro though!!!

Monaro was a road car with a race engine like the rest of the field, so prototype classification isnt applied. Like the V8 supercars they are 5ltr, you cant buy ltr v8s in Aus anymore from Holden or Ford.

Ill stop nit picking:D

Although I'm not familiar with the cars from Down Under, what you posted seems to have had style, which is lacking nowadays. I'm guessing they're from late '70s and early '80s?

that one is a 1977 model. Scan on page two you will see i own the same model without the body kit.

style is most definately there and I guess pre 68 our cars were scaled down American cars.

57 chev, 55 bel air etc... very close in design

1961.jpg

while not the same this resembles ideas of the 57

if you get my point..........:lol:

I don't think anyone would want to copy American cars now. I ROFL when I see a car commercial on TV that states something like, "world styling", breath-taking styling" and where is it? I see NO styling. Someone spent how many years and dollars in college and came up with this? Ugh.

If I had that car of yours I'd paint it black, louver the headlights, throw a blower through the hood.... oh, wait. Been done!

Well Im actually going to hot rod that model but not my car, will buy another.

Mine is all original don't want to mess with it too much.

The rat rod theme which is huge has yet to be treated to an Australian 70s car so Im going for flat black and wide red steelies with pinstriping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back