My Spitfire factory

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers... as I've done ten now, here are a couple of self-indulgent group shots :lol:

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

Just finished off one of those pointy-winged affairs, HF Mk. VII "Spirit of Kent" flown by Sqn. Ldr. James O'Meara of 131 Sqn. RAF, March 1944 (it says here).

The kit is from Kopro and basically the same as the Czech LF Mk. IX I just did - same lousy fit with the canopy, I did my best. Basically out of the box with the addition of Tally Ho stencils.

vii1.jpg

vii2.jpg

vii3.jpg

vii4.jpg

After all these clippies and pointies, I feel something eliptical and 36'10" wide coming on...

I think that your Spitfire fetish is as bad as Terry's Wildcat one....:lol: Say Wildcat to him and he start to make funny noises and get a weird look. :lol:

Great looking models mate!

Grrr! Bl**dy Wil....no! I can't say that word!
Good job on a ropey kit there. I see what you mean about the canopy fit...and the six inch thick bulkhead sitting 18 inches too far forward. Wonder where they got the plans from?! You've made it look the biz though, well done!

Cheers!

The bulkhead... I'm guessing that's the plate immediately behind the pilot's seat?

These things will start to matter to me one day... :rolleyes:

Another Kopro kite, basically the same as the pointy winged one above. I have discovered spray-on matt varnish, which is lovely, but maybve I shoudl have put a coat of Klear on top of the decals before spraying, they've silvered quite badly. The white stripes on the wings are decals and I think I would have been better painting/masking. Anyways! :D

aussie1.jpg

aussie2.jpg

Last Friday I went to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's base at RAF Coningsby for a Spitfire "technical tour". It's a scheme that they're piloting (ba-da-tish) to perhaps do more of in coming months and years.

The hangar and everything in it of course is the RAF's domain, the visitor centre and the tours are run by Lincolnshire County Council. The two seem to cooperate very well. The tour was supposed to last three hours... but over-ran to five. We were in the hands of an ex RAF guy called Phil who was incredibly knowledgeable about the planes.

After a briefing we went into the hangar and spent about an hour learning about the Merlin engine. From there we looked at the planes - you can't get very close to them (priceless artifacts and all that, and there were RAF tech crew busy at work) but they were all in various states of stripped-down-ness for winter maintenance and we got a pretty good look at their innards. As well as the Lanc, the Dakota and the two Hurris they have a Mk II (oldest Spit still flying and a BoB veteran), a Mk V, a Mk IX, a mk XVI which is a new arrival and is being restored, and a PR Mk XIX painted up to look like the famous PS888 "The Last" (their other PR XIX is elsewhere having work done on it).

After that a fascinating slideshow about construction of the Spit - it's amazing we ever built one, let alone 22,000 - and after that an hour in the company of a Hispano 20mm cannon, three rounds from which can take the wing clean off a Bf 109, ha. Lots of freebie drawings and stuff to take away, tea and coffee thrown in and all for the princely sum of 15 quid.

Superb day out!

There are tours coming up for the Dakota and the Lanc, but i think they're booked up. However if they repeat it i wouldn't hesitate to go again. Highly recommended.

I took tons of pics - photos OK for personal use, not to be used in books or on the internet, which I respect... oh heck, I can't resist one (probably be the subject of a precision strike by a Tornado later for this)... this is me happy as Larry with the Mk V currently painted up to look like Jan Zumbach of 303 Sqn's "Donald Duck" Spit. This is going to be my Christmas Break build!

IMG_0300.jpg

Cheers

Wow thats fantrastic CK mate sounds like a ripper time!

Definately on my to do list when I come back over to the UK

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back