My Spitfire factory

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi

very nice models, and very interesting versions.
Great, you are definitely big fan of Spitfires :)

I have one question. I want to make Seafire IIb same as you did. But i can not buy any model of Seafire in Serbia, so i must do it with homemade approach. Can you advice me how to do it, which model should i use, and what need to be changed at standard model. I have (also) big stock of many different versions of Spitfire, but not even one from Seafire series. As i mentioned before, i think that you done good job with your Seafire so definitely you are right person to get advice from :).

Thanks a lot

Best regards

Hi

very nice models, and very interesting versions.
Great, you are definitely big fan of Spitfires :)

I have one question. I want to make Seafire IIb same as you did. But i can not buy any model of Seafire in Serbia, so i must do it with homemade approach. Can you advice me how to do it, which model should i use, and what need to be changed at standard model. I have (also) big stock of many different versions of Spitfire, but not even one from Seafire series. As i mentioned before, i think that you done good job with your Seafire so definitely you are right person to get advice from :).

Thanks a lot

Best regards

Actually if you can get the Airfix Spitfire Vc kit it includes all the components necessary to make the Seafire (including the grappling hook), there's really nothing expert about my conversion :lol:, however the instructions/decals supplied with the kit are not for the Seafire, they're for the Spitfire.

To do the Seafire you will need the instructions and decals that come with this year's Airfix Club limited edition members kit (Fleet Air Arm set). I still have the instructions left over from when I did mine, as well as a spare set of decals in two options (assuming you're happy to do one of those two), if you want them PM me your address and I'll happily post them to you.

Have a look here at how I built the Seafire (I noticed the other day that I forgot to stick the air intake on!! I'll need to add it)

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/st...anking-xix-seafire-side-side-build-20008.html

Cheers

Another one wrapped up... this was originally going to have a camo scheme but I took a left turn halfway and sprayed it silver. I learned from this that metal finishes are very unforgiving and if I'm going to do them the model has to be seamless... in this case I've made a bit of a hash of the wing roots. Oh well.

This, apparently, is a fairly well known Spit, served at the Central Gunnery School in 1946 at RAF Catfoss just north of Hull. Crashed at Skipsea in January 1949.

Heller kit, Lifelike Decals sheet 72-007.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

Great work Tony!

I think the original issue of the Heller LF.XVI came with those markings you ordered, since changed to those of D-GE 'Winston Churchill'

Cheers guys

I think the original issue of the Heller LF.XVI came with those markings you ordered, since changed to those of D-GE 'Winston Churchill'

I don't know how old this particular kit was (box looked a bit retro, picked up on ebay), but it came with both those sets of markings. However the decals were pretty nasty so I went for the aftermarket option. Lifelike do two sheets for 1/72 XVIs, and both this Spit F-JWL RW396 and the "Winston Churchill" kite feature. They're lovely decals to work with.

And another... I have been mucking about with this one for ages...

Postwar Mk XIV Spit of the Royal Indian Air Force. Kit is the Fujimi "Fighter Recon" kit, decals from Model Alliance. The kit is excellent, a few issues with the decals though - the fin flashes were printed too small (so I ended up painting them on) and the number on the side is too large (and I just lived with it).

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

I applied a bit of "stencil logic"... I managed to track down a pic of another kite from the same unit and the RIAF markings appear to have been pretty crudely applied, I figured that any stencils would have been overpainted.

Spit-Chakra96.jpg

I love this unusual look.

Your collection pushing me to leave some projects and start again doing spitfires :)

One question, i see that you do not use matt coat for those models even some of them looks very matt on pictures. Some special reason?

Again, Great work!

Last edited:
'Nother one... Czech LF Mk. IXe flown by W/Cdr Jaroslav Hlado of the Czech AF.

This is a KP kit which I picked up from ebay and I gather may be 25 years old (or more). It seems to share the same moulds with the current Kopro VII/VIII kits that I'm also working on right now. Wasn't bad at all, the canopy was a lousy fit but otherwise fun to build. The decals were nasty though (probably their age), I used a sheet from MPD/Miniprint (72544).

Bit of an authenticity issue on this, the serial numbers are wrong, the decals are pretty soft and I wrote off not one but two sets of s/n decals and it started getting expensive so I just slapped on a set in a similar style from a spare Revell sheet. The inspectors I am sure will pick up on it when they visit. Also there's no evidence I can find to suggest this particualr kite carried bombs, but the Czechs flew plenty LF IXe Spits with bombs so I slapped them on for a bit of variety.

Cheers

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back