My WW2 photos/Vids album

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hurricane Mk I SD-K, snapped by LAC Eric Marsden of No 145 Squadron RAF at RAF Westhampnett in 1940, was the regular mount of F/L Edward S Williams of No 501 Squadron RAF at Bétheniville, from where he claimed a Do 17 near Vouziers on the morning of 11 May and another on the afternoon of 12 May,

Are you sure ?
Those tail fins, and the elevator horns and rear fuselage of the 'camera ship', look suspiciously like a Do-17.
Think I've seen this pic a few times, as a German propaganda shot.

Yeah that was my first thought, they were notorious for it. But that would mean they had a flyable or intact Hurricane. And german airmen did take cameras on missions to document even though it was highly irregular. Its sometimes hard to tell but it does look a little good to be true. Who knows...

The Hurricane pic might have been done with a captured Hurricane, but it looks more like a montage, using two available images. There's a very good chance it was done by other than the German propaganda service, and could even be post WWII, which i think it is, given the better quality of the Hurricane part of the montage.
This is probably an available, good quality photo, perhaps even the one you quoted, photo-masked into a montage using an available Luftwaffe photo, very possibly, and probably, the one posted by by Wojtek.
It was a fairly easy and straightforward process to 'mask' an area of photo paper under the enlarger, then expose the two negatives separately, and eliminate backgrounds on a print using potassium ferricyanide, long before the inventor of 'Photoshop' learned to walk !

Yes, quite right. Plus another technique was to take two pics, doctor them together and then take another pic of the doctored one to make it look like a real pic of two objects. The more i look at it the more i think the Hurricane has been edited into the shot. I would imagine it is ww2 propaganda though. Im not sure what the point it would serve post war. Plus its unlikely any Do 17s were left by then

B-47E Stratojet bomber on display at the Pueblo Weisbrod Aircraft Museum on the grounds of the Pueblo Municipal Airport. The airport was the primary B-24 crew training base during much of WWII.

B-17G Thunderbird is based in Galveston, Texas, at the Lone Star Flight Museum. This is one nice airplane museum, and Thunderbird has been gone over from tip to tail and is in pristine condition. This photo is from the early 1990's when Thunderbird was based at the Planes Of Fame air museum near Minneapolis, MN.

women were not intended to serve in the front line of battle – but for much of the war the front line was indistinguishable from the home front, especially with regard to Anti Aircraft gunnery. 731women died serving in these Auxilliary units during the war.

Users who are viewing this thread