National Museum of Naval Aviation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am volunteering in the restoration area of NMNA and guys it's a GOLD MINE if you are into the preservation/restoration of military aircraft! The regular Museum is truely a national treasure but if you ever visit be SURE to go on the "extended" tour of the restoration area. They will tour the flight line out back of the main museum and cruise slowly in front of the hanger where I work in a small open tour trolly. If you can make reservations they will schedule a personal walking tour of the hanger area and I promise you will NOT be disapointed! I want to tell everyone that this is something you don't want to miss if you are ever near Pensacola and it's worth scheduling a "side" trip if your coming to Florida anyway. I know I sound like a commercial advertisment but I just want everyone who is interested in warbirds to experence this Museum.
I and many others feel like it's the best in the World. Wheather true or not it's certanily on par with the very best (Smithsonian etc.).........When you come, slip out back to the Restoration Hanger door#2 and ask for
Dave a.k.a. "Hollywood"

I have written several times about the Naval Air Museum. I have been to the AF museum and Smithsonian and I consider the Naval Air Museum to have the best presentation (and the area has wonderful seafood, fried shrimp, crabs, etc., and, of course, the beautiful white beaches)

Where do you live? My old homestead, now for sale, is right outside the rear gate to the base, off Blue Angel Parkway.

My favorite display there is the Vietnamese Cessna the landed on an aircraft carrier during the fall..
I assume they still have it on display. I was there in1988.

According to Wiki it is still on display there.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=so9XRUbBGj8

Wheels

Thanks for digging that up!

With only an hour of fuel remaining, he dropped a note asking that the "runway" [sic] be cleared so that he could land. Knowing there was no room for this to happen, Rear Admiral Lawrence Chambers ordered that $10 million (US currency) worth of UH-1 Huey helicopters be pushed overboard into the South China Sea.

I love suprises at museums... that wasnt somthing I expected to see.

As a long time volunteer, I can't say I'm objective.
But I thinks it's the best I've ever seen.

Owen

Thanks for digging that up!

With only an hour of fuel remaining, he dropped a note asking that the "runway" [sic] be cleared so that he could land. Knowing there was no room for this to happen, Rear Admiral Lawrence Chambers ordered that $10 million (US currency) worth of UH-1 Huey helicopters be pushed overboard into the South China Sea.

I love suprises at museums... that wasnt somthing I expected to see.
I read that too about the $10 million in helicopters being shoved overboard.
I wonder what the cost would be in today's dollars ??

Wheels

Sorry for the long delayed response to my own thread(stupidstupidstupid).........

To catch everyone up on things, we are prepairing a SBD Dauntless for shipment to Pearl Harbor for the Museum there. It's one we "fished" out of the lake..... Sorry for the lack of photos, maybe Santa will bring me a Camara!

Still working on the HUGE flying boat PB2Y Coronado...... I WILL HAVE SOME PHOTOS SOON(With Captains Permission).....
Hollywood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back