New Airfix 1/48 Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here you go:

Restored-gun-compartment-complete-with-original-Browning-machine-guns.jpg

IMG_0088 reduced.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Guys,
I added a little stretched sprue to model the lines in Andy's gun bay picture. Got that done and glued up the upper rgt wing. Both upper wings are now in place. Seeing the pictures, I need to touch up the MGs.
So far I have 3 things that are less than thrilling with this kit.
1) Excessive molding seams - not quite flash, but enough that you need to be aware of and watch for.
2) The control stick - molded in 2 pieces, upper 1/4 and the lower remainder of the control column. VERY fragile joint/ I have broken it off several times and have not lost it YET. So, it will stay off until I think I get to a point where the chance to break it off reduced. Next time around, I will attempt to drill a small hole into both pieces and use some narrow rod or wire to reinforce this joint.
3) Trailing edges of the wings are thick, like almost as thick as a dime thick (see picture). I am going to attempt to reduce the thickness to some extent with some careful sanding. The thickness is not as apparent in the picture as it is in real life. It is THAT noticeable.

Rgt Gun Bay.jpg
Trailing Edge1.jpg

Close-ups are always brutal. I'm sure the gun bays look great to the eye. The best way to thin the trailing edges would have been to sand down the mating surfaces before they were glued together. It's tricky doing the outer surfaces without making it look obvious so take care doing that.

yeah, Andy, I was looking at thinning from the interior surfaces. However, with all the spar structure internal to the wing, I was worried that I would not be to get a solid joint if I thinned from the interior. I am facing a quandary and I am trying to decide if I will address this at all.

I wouldn't do it now to be honest. The change in the contour of the surfaces will be noticeable once the paint is on unless you feather the filing far up the chord, in which case you will loose detail.

I agree with Andy.
The trailing edge on the real aircraft was actually relatively thick - the photo below of a genuine BoB Hurricane, although not the best angle, shows this to an extent.
I've checked my kit, and although the restraints of the mould tooling process have resulted in a slightly thick trailing edge, once the paint is on, this will not be as noticeable, and I think it is acceptable.

Don 3.jpg

I agree Andy, but compared to, say, a Spitfire, it is, as I mentioned, relatively thick. Once the upper and lower surfaces colours are applied to a 1/48th scale model, the contrast of the demarcation goes a very long way to hiding the apparent thickness, and personally, with this particular kit, I don't think it's worth the effort, and possible risk, to try to thin the trailing edges.
Unless viewed precisely edge on, an unlikely situation for a model on display, the thickness of the trailing edges, already 'camouflaged' by the paint contrast, will not be noticeable.

This is really similar to the way the 24 scale Tiffie goes together. Being that the wing on the real stuff is essentially the same wing I can understand that. The build looks totally awesome to my eyes and I do hope that it goes all together the way you wish. It looks grand.

Hey Dale,

looks good so far, keep it going. BTW: did you start your 1/24 Tiffy already?

Cheers, Hansjurg
Hey, Hansjurg!!!
How are you doing?! Where did you land?

I have not started on the Tiffy yet. I want to get the Hurricane done then move back to the 109 G-6 now that the new clear sprue came in. After these are done, I need to decide what is next. I am leaning towards getting back to the F-16 that I started earlier last year. However, the idea of the Tiffy is still on the table. I am thinking it will be after the F-16 is done.

What are you working on?

Last edited:
Ok, here are a few pictures of the progress. First one is the step at the front of the wing to the fuse. I wish I had tried to get a shot in profile. Oh well, too late.
Next picture is of the left hand side of the fuse/wing joint.
Last shot is with the step in the forward wing after it has been sanded and filled. I will need to rescribe panel lines and and I have punch out a few 0.6 mm discs with the intent of adding the rivet/fastners that were lost in sanding and filling the joint. There is actually quite a bit of detail that will need to be replaced in this area. More details to follow as I get these done.

Attachments

• Forward Wing Root Unfilled.jpg
    Forward Wing Root Unfilled.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Wings On Fuse.jpg
    Wings On Fuse.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Forward Wing Joint Filled.jpg
    Forward Wing Joint Filled.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back