New Airfix 1/48 Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have re-scribed the lost panel lines and added the "fastners" back that were lost in getting the joint cleared up. Forgive the picture, I tried to get it as clear as I could. You can just make out the fastners. I punched out a dozen 0.6mm discs from some 0.01" card stock. I dabbed a wee bit of glue and dropped 5 of these in place. I then let them settle into place and then came back with my dubbing needle to establish a center point. Out came a fine drill and I lightly drilled out the centers.
I also re-scribed the panel lines. The black smears are my attempt to free hand a guide line with a pencil. I did reduce the joints on the wing root as they swept down to the lower fuse. Still more to go, I will get to those tomorrow. So far, I am happy with the look. Perfect? Of course not, but it sure looks ok to me.
Replacement Fastners.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good.:)

Dale, as far as the blurry pic is concerned... it is better to take a clear shot from a distance and then enlarge the area of the image you want to show. Also you may clip the pic in order to get its proper size.

Coming right along Dale and I agree with Wojtek. Don't know what you use for a photo editor, I use Paint.net. This is what I do as per Wojtek's advice and I'm sure it works with all editors. Upload your uneditted pic into the editor (these have been resized for the forum)...

dale.jpg

In the tool section, pick "Rectangle Select" and hi-lite the area you want...

dale1.JPG

Then from the "Image" drop box I select "Crop to Selection"

dale0.jpg

....et voila, pic is magnified without the blur

dale3.JPG

After this, you can resize the photos for posting. Hope this helps

Exactly I have meant that way. However I use the Irfanvew browser of images. It is a freeware and all you need to resize a picture with that soft is a clear general image taken.

The general shot taken from a distance ...

IMG_0002.jpg

And here the enlarged and clipped one...

IMG_0001.jpg

Yeah, what you both describe is how I shoot and edit (using Preview on a mac). I think I need to play with lighting and I need to check F stop as well. Thanks for all the help though.

Tripod or 'desk top' tripod / mount, minimum of 100 Watt lighting, preferably 500 W, and an aperture of at least f16 or less, preferably around f22 or f32. Switch Image Stabilisation 'Off', and use a remote shutter release, or the camera timer.
Alternatively, if using a compact or 'bridge' camera, set to 'Normal' lighting, flash 'Off'', Macro 'On'. and shoot, hand-held, at around 8 inches or more from the subject, then select and crop as required.

Hey, Hansjurg!!!
How are you doing?! Where did you land?

I have not started on the Tiffy yet. I want to get the Hurricane done then move back to the 109 G-6 now that the new clear sprue came in. After these are done, I need to decide what is next. I am leaning towards getting back to the F-16 that I started earlier last year. However, the idea of the Tiffy is still on the table. I am thinking it will be after the F-16 is done.

What are you working on?

Hey Dale,

I guess, I need to update my LinkedIn page;)

As usual, I'm working on several (too many) models; a Shahak (Mirage IIICJ), a Super Etendard, a Kittyhawk Mk. III (almost done) and a Warhawk Mk. IIB. And a lot of ideas about new projects.

Cheers,
Hansjurg

Ok, I have been working on the hurricane. I do have the fuse halves joined and the wing mounted as you all can see. Horizontal stab is on as well. I have the radiator on and needed to do more filling than I cared for. I have just about finished that up. I needed to rescribe a few panel lines and that is about done. Pics to follow tomorrow or Saturday. All in all a nice kit. Just be slow and careful with the radiator assembly to minimize any challenges there.

Ok, a bit of an update and some pictures. I have the plane cleaned up and primed. I decided to try the hightlighting of the panel lines with a thinned out black acrylic. I am not entirely happy. But, this is my first time using acrylics for an exterior finish. I am still learning. It seems that the airbrush needle/nozzle require a periodic wiping while spraying.
Bad news.... the carpet monster ate the front windscreen. I have checked and checked and checked and I just cannot find it. I posted an enquiry to the Airfix website about a spare. No answer back yet, but it was just yesterday I posted. I will let you all know what I hear back.
Pics:

Attachments

• Belly Primed and highlighted.jpg
    Belly Primed and highlighted.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Rgt Side Primed and highlighted.jpg
    Rgt Side Primed and highlighted.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Front View Primer and Highlighting.jpg
    Front View Primer and Highlighting.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 152
Looks like your paint is a bit too thin Dale or you are blowing it too hard.

Let me know if you get stuck for that part as I have a couple of spare vac-formed ones available.

I took some time this weekend to experiment with acrylics. I used both Model Air and Model Color (thinned by 20%). I experimented with all of my airbrushes and started at 15 psi and worked up to 20 or 25 psi. I will post a couple of shots tomorrow. I was very pleased with the model air across almost all of my airbrushes. Not so much with the Model Colors. Two airbrushes worked good to very good with the Model Colors. Anyone have any recommendations on thinning/air pressures with Model Colors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back