News pages, why can't we post?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
Hi Mods. Why is it that on the news pages I have 'insufficient privileges to post' as it states at the bottom? What's that about?

Are you sure you did not accidentally try to post in the ANNOUNCEMENTS section? Only Mods/Admin can post in there.

"You have insufficient privileges to post threads here." This is what it says. There is no link to creating a new thread for me in the News section.

Nope. Here are a couple of screenshots that illustrate what I'm talking about. This is the top of the page; note the absense of any ability to create a new thread.

46948664674_dbc263232b_b.jpg
Screenshot (1)

This is the bottom of the page with the aforementioned disclaimer at the bottom.

46948664634_489ec8b013_b.jpg
Screenshot (2)

Generally, the News & Announcements :: READ section isn't accessed by members for posting there. It is allowed to the Staff members only. All threads there, have been moved from other sections of the forum by Admins/Mods. Posting there has to be agreed with Horse for getting the privileges for that. All users may use the Current / Events section . However for posting as the global announcement there the contact with Horse is needed as well.

Ah, I see now thanks. I didn't look in the blue header though I'd suggest that the word "Current" doesn't really make sense as a header.

Oh, thanks for clarifying that guys. Perhaps a change of title for those relevant headings might be warranted, to avoid confusion? Announcing the US Navy policy isn't really an 'event', so that's why I didn't post it there. Maybe 'Events' could be changed to 'News'? Is it necessary for the Mods to have a news page of your own with the title 'News', if we are able to post news in Events? It seems redundant to have two posts with the same function but one controlled by mods and one for everyone? Surely, the news page has information we are all interested in and therefore we should be able to contribute to that page.

Thoughts?

The News & Announcements section is created automatically while the forum soft is installed. The software developer's idea of using of the section is to allow the Admins and Mods to announce all info related to the forum but not the news from newspapers for instance. In other words it is a section for Admins/Mods to let users know about important things. Therefore the section is the protected area with limits to the posting there. Of course the programmer left the decision what could be posted there to the forum Staff in order to keep the order I would say. For the reason we may move a post there if it is considered to be news worth for the global announcing. Regarding the confusion , each section ( forum ) has a short info ( instruction ) below its title ( name ) what is is for. So there shouldn't be any trouble with finding the purpose the forum was created for. Of course, almost nobody reads these descriptions there because what for, n'est-ce pas ?

The News & Announcements section is created automatically while the forum soft is installed. The software developer's idea of using of the section is to allow the Admins and Mods to announce all info related to the forum but not the news from newspapers for instance. In other words it is a section for Admins/Mods to let users know about important things. Therefore the section is the protected area with limits to the posting there. Of course the programmer left the decision what could be posted there to the forum Staff in order to keep the order I would say. For the reason we may move a post there if it is considered to be news worth for the global announcing. Regarding the confusion , each section ( forum ) has a short info ( instruction ) below its title ( name ) what is is for. So there shouldn't be any trouble with finding the purpose the forum was created for. Of course, almost nobody reads these descriptions there because what for, n'est-ce pas ?
I think we as moderator team misused the news as well in the past, or at least did not use it as intended. There are many threads there that don't concern the forum, but other 'news' items. That is probably also causing the confusion. I think Grant has a good point, which we should think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back