NHS deserts Spitfire hero in 'hour of need'.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colin1

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 2, 2009
United Kingdom
By Richard Savill
The Daily Telegraph 15 January 2010

A decorated former Spitfire pilot, who suffers from dementia, faces the prospect of having to sell his home after his NHS care package was cut. John Mejor, 88, who was awarded the DFC for his bravery in the Second World War, was 'a true hero of this country' said Sally Mejor, his daughter.

Miss Mejor, 54, added: "My dad put his life on the line for this country in our darkest days of the war and now in his desperate hour of need the NHS is deserting him. It is truly heartbreaking".

For the past 18 months, the NHS has funded care for Mr Mejor, who lives in a nursing home in Exmouth, Devon but his daughter has been told that full financial support of £800 per week is to be withdrawn. "They have agreed to pay us £106 per week but we have to find the rest, just under £700 per week. It is totally preposterous and disgraceful" said Miss Mejor, who added that she would be forced to sell her parents home, where her 94-year old mother, Cecile, wanted to stay for the rest of her life.

"It is an extreme form of action but it may well be the only way we can afford to pay for my father's care" said Miss Mejor, who also lives in the house as her mother's carer. Mr Mejor was given full financial support nearly two years ago after suffering several strokes. "At no point was it said there would be any time frame or, that should his condition improve even slightly, it would be pulled from us".

She was told the changes were being made because her father's condition had improved to a point where it was no longer considered to be 'severe'. She said her father's fundamental condition had not changed.

Parveen Brown, who is responsible for health care at NHS Devon, said every family had the right of appeal and a further discussion had taken place with the family. "We will be setting up another assessment of Mr Mejor's needs as part of the appeal process" said Ms Brown. "Until the appeal is completed the family will continue to receive full payment".

Mr Mejor, who was born in Belgium in 1921, moved to Britain in the late 30s. He joined the RAFVR in the summer of 1940 and started combat flights months later. He answered a call for a special operation in 1942, and flew to help defend Malta. He shot down at least one German aircraft but his own was hit. He bailed out and was rescued from the sea by the Royal Navy. He made his last operational flight on June 6 1944, over the D Day beaches of Normandy and was awarded the DFC in the same year. He commanded the RAF's 130 Sqn in the mid-50s and later worked for Devon County Council. He was also chairman of the Devon Conservation Forum.

John Mejor, pictured with his daughter Sally, was awarded the DFC for his actions in WWII; his portrait from the time, left

Attachments

• Spitfire pilot.JPG
    Spitfire pilot.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 175
I thought this kind of thing was only supposed to happen in evil America? Wasn't socialized medicine supposed to prevent this?

How truly horrible for Mr. Mejor and his family!

Bl**dy so-called NHS. Too many 'Management' teams in place, with high salaries, trying to run things like an unseccessful business. Kick 'em out, and let the hospitals and other facilities be run like they were, by dedicated, wondeful, underpaid and overworked saviours, instead of mamby pamby suit-wearing, Bentley-driving 'five-year-plan' capitalists!!

Bl**dy so-called NHS. Too many 'Management' teams in place, with high salaries, trying to run things like an unseccessful business. Kick 'em out, and let the hospitals and other facilities be run like they were, by dedicated, wondeful, underpaid and overworked saviours, instead of mamby pamby suit-wearing, Bentley-driving 'five-year-plan' capitalists!!

Amen!

:evil:

This whole thing is a disgrace to the country that would turn its back on the men and women who stepped forward and saved it during its time of need (any country, any conflict...happens waaaaaay too often!). If the family needs any help persuading the NHS to restore funding, I've got a baseball bat and am willing to travel...

That's very rough. I hope something is done for this man!

As for Britain I think you'll find Post Blair its a vastly changed economic landscape, a damn shame.

It's very sad, but I'm not surprised at all. As long as money rules the world, this is the only sort of treatment anyone can expect, especially from a Corporate or Government body.

Sad thing is, money (much like handguns) are only as evil as the the person holding it...

I think the douchebags holding the pursestrings should be made to suffer the same bullsh!t they hand out...

And I'm with you, RA...but I'll take a #4 wood with us when we go-A-callin' on 'em...
(in case you were wondering, I prefer the #4 driver because it has a great feel to the swing)

I can only hope that the appeal will overturn this ridiculous situation!
Makes me feel ashamed of my country when crap like this happens.
My surname is ENGLISH - so you can probably guess that I am a little on the patriotic side !

I am in a similar position to miss Mejor my father is in a nursing home and my mother is cared for by the family in her home. The paperwork required to get state assistance is byzantine and takes hours if not days to fill each form in. There are endless hours of phone calls to various disparate agencies but in the end the majority of people do get a good care package.

Mr Mejor will not be thrown out of his care home no matter what happens this is a problem of who funds the care not whether care is withdrawn. Miss Mejor needs to contact Age Concern an excellent charity that has wide experience of these issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back