No 56 Squadron, RAF, 'The Firebirds', 1918 - 2008.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well done my friend. Looking forward to the next build. :cool:

What are you going to use for the rigging? I have the Revell Sopwith F.1 Camel 1/48 kit and there is attached a skein of a thread that would look like a mooring rope when enlarged to 1/1 scale.

Will rummage through the book tomorrow Terry but not so sure about internal detail but will also look through other mags I have. I have a feeling that I have an article on a kit build somewhere.

Thanks Karl and Vic, that'll be helpful. I found some good colour pics of the internals, and lots of other details, so it's mainly pics of the aircraft from April 1918 onwards.
Wojtek, I'll probably use 'invisible' mending thread for the rigging, which works well in this scale when painted. I first used this back in the 1960s, when 'Inpact' included a small bobbin of the nylon thread in their Gladiator kit.

Mind if I join you Terry?

Got this last year from my mate - recognize it? :)

(This is the original Aurora kit, in obvious need of repair after 20 years in my mate's attic!)

STA51159.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, and thanks very much indeed Vic, the info and pics have been very useful, and already put to good use.
Along with a load of info sent by Vic, and some good colour pics off the 'net, I've been able to crack on and start adding detail to this rather basic kit.
First though, the moulded in roundel and numbers were removed from the fuselage, tail and wings, and ejector pin marks eliminated.
PICS 1 and 2 show the fuselage and tail after filing and sanding, and during polishing.
PIC 3 shows the wing during filing and sanding, since polished and any lost detail replaced.
Next step was to drill holes where required, then start to add some basic detail to the cockpit, before modifying the seat and starting work on the main instrument panel.
PIC 4. A hole was drilled in the starboard cockpit wall, where the magneto hand crank fits, and the small window above the instrument panel was drilled out and filed to shape, the work still underway in this pic.
PIC 5. The seat as provided in the kit.
PIC 6. And after modification.
PIC 7. The port cockpit wall, showing the added frames and the mounting for the throttle (top) and the tail plane incidence adjusting wheel. The throttle lever and operating rod will be added after painting.
PIC 8. Starboard cockpit, with the frames, floor, mount for the rudder bar and hole for the control column, magneto housing at top, and the curved, lower section of the instrument panel.
The main panel is currently under construction, and should be finished soon.
Thanks for your interest and kind comments, and I'll post some more pics hopefully within the next few days.

Attachments

• SE5 build 010.jpg
    SE5 build 010.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 58
  • SE5 build 012.jpg
    SE5 build 012.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 57
  • SE5 build 016.jpg
    SE5 build 016.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 67
  • SE5 build 019.jpg
    SE5 build 019.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 57
  • SE5 build 021.jpg
    SE5 build 021.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 57
  • SE5 build 023.jpg
    SE5 build 023.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 57
  • SE5 build 036.jpg
    SE5 build 036.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 59
  • SE5 build 037.jpg
    SE5 build 037.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 56
Thanks guys. Received some more pics from Karl, showing the RAF Museum's aircraft. Confirms that the housing for the Vickers gun needs modification - b*gg*r !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back