Not sure what to do anymore... in need of guidance

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Guys, I need some help

For the past two-three years through this whole ordeal I've had demons tormenting me. Through the grapevine in school I heard about what he was doing and I chose to do absolutely nothing. Now, I know everyone will say "You can't make his choices for him" and that may be true but I'm his brother and as a brother I'm suppose to help him out and ensure that he's safe above anything. I was a Freshman in High School at the time but for the past two-three years I'm literally reminded everyday that I could've stopped this a lot sooner. It makes me feel like a piece of sh!t to be honest. When you see your parents paying $15,000 a month for rehab and your dad working odd jobs at ungodly hours and the pain in his eyes, it makes you feel awful about yourself.

The problem is, I don't know how to forgive myself. I never have since that incident happened and I get up everyday and pretend like everythings okay until I come home and hear my mom ask "Anyone seem Joseph? Joseph told me he hates it here" and realize had I said something, our family wouldn't be like this. Had I said something maybe he wouldn't have tried to kill himself twice. I haven't said anything to anyone in two or three years because I don't want to relive that and I don't want to relive my actions, or lack thereof. Again I know I can't make his choices for him but I could've had a say in what direction his choices went. I just feel awful and it finally boiled over today because I had a bit of a mental breakdown thinking about it.

Harrison,
Your brothers decisions were his and would he have listened to you when all this started? You have the admiration of the people on this forum as you tried to deal wth the issues and eventually your brother made the right decision and your parents are doing all they can with support and paying for rehab.
People do feel guilty...its a normal human response but, you should not feel more guilty than anyone else.
You mention having a breakdown mate...if you have a full blown breakdown you are the last to know.
Deep breath old son, look to the future and all this will blow over.
Best wishes
John

Guys, I need some help

For the past two-three years through this whole ordeal I've had demons tormenting me. Through the grapevine in school I heard about what he was doing and I chose to do absolutely nothing. Now, I know everyone will say "You can't make his choices for him" and that may be true but I'm his brother and as a brother I'm suppose to help him out and ensure that he's safe above anything. I was a Freshman in High School at the time but for the past two-three years I'm literally reminded everyday that I could've stopped this a lot sooner. It makes me feel like a piece of sh!t to be honest. When you see your parents paying $15,000 a month for rehab and your dad working odd jobs at ungodly hours and the pain in his eyes, it makes you feel awful about yourself.

The problem is, I don't know how to forgive myself. I never have since that incident happened and I get up everyday and pretend like everythings okay until I come home and hear my mom ask "Anyone seem Joseph? Joseph told me he hates it here" and realize had I said something, our family wouldn't be like this. Had I said something maybe he wouldn't have tried to kill himself twice. I haven't said anything to anyone in two or three years because I don't want to relive that and I don't want to relive my actions, or lack thereof. Again I know I can't make his choices for him but I could've had a say in what direction his choices went. I just feel awful and it finally boiled over today because I had a bit of a mental breakdown thinking about it.

IMMEDIATELY, H, AND I MEAN IMMEDIATELY CALL YOUR MOM AND DAD INTO THE ROOM WITH A COMPUTER AND SIMPLY SHOW THEM THIS POST. DO IT. I DEMAND IT. DO IT FOR ME. I'M CALLING YOU OUT ON THIS ONE.

H, I'm with Matt on this one.

You cannot expect an unreasonable person to be reasonable and things worked out the way they should have with him. If your brother was not ready to deal with it back then, instead of your parents paying $15k a month for rehab, they could be paying $15k for a funeral. Talk to your parents, the fact they are doing what they are speaks volumes of them.

Thanks for the input guys

You can always play the coulda, woulda, shoulda game in your mind. But in the end, YOU are not responsible for somebody else drinking or taking drugs. Take care of yourself and your parents so you CAN do what you can for your brother.

Several co-workers, a brother of my own ( four separate 30 day rehab sessions before it took but it did) and an ex-wife don't make me an expert but a lot of us have had similar experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back