Now THIS is a big lens!

evangilder

"Shooter"
19,035
214
Joined
Sep 17, 2004
Location
Moorpark, CA
Website
www.vg-photo.com
picture_3.jpg


This is a Nikon 1200-1700mm zoom lens! 16kg in weight and 880mm in length!

MF Zoom-Nikkor 1200-1700mm f/5.6~8.0s P ED IF
 
This is getting silly. You might as well buy a good telescope with the Camera attachment, save yourself a small fortune, get a better magnification and save Hospital bills for a dislocated shoulder.
 
This is getting silly. You might as well buy a good telescope with the Camera attachment, save yourself a small fortune, get a better magnification and save Hospital bills for a dislocated shoulder.

I kinda agree, that does take the cake for over kill. No offense Eric. I would think taking arerial shots would be alot harder.
 
Sh!t, at 16kg??? Man Eric, u carried way more than that strapped to ur ass back in the day...

Oh wait a minute, we're in our 40's now arent we???

Whats the pricetag on something like that??
 
Yeah, Dan, carrying 16kg in the heat isn't my idea of fun anymore. Although it is a lot more enjoyable when you don't have to dodge bullets! By the way that lens is a manual focus too! They were a limited production run in the 1990s and from what I have read were about $90,000 (yes, for one manual focus lens!). I could buy a truckload of gear for that price tag.
 
Yeah, that's WAY too big. If I was going to look into a big zoom, which I may someday, I'd look at the Sigma "sigmonster" 300-800mm. A much lighter 12 lbs is easier to hand hold for shots (well, lighter than that Nikkor mortar tube). Plus the price tag is a more budget friendly $6,000. Not that $6k is friendly to my budget, but still friendlier than $90k.
 
I've got a five inch (dia) Meade telescope with a fitting for my Nikon D70.
And it was under $300.00. With it I can photograph most of the heavens.
And it don't break my back hauling it ! $90k.... unbelieveable !

Charles
 
You can buy insurance for your gear, and for 90k, I would think it would be a must!

And for 90k, I'd go nuts for gear, and still be under budget:
2 Nikon D300 bodies (about $1,800 each)
1 Nikkor 200-400mm (about $6000)
1 Nikkor 18-200mm (about $750)
1 Sigma 300-800mm (about $6000)
Batteries, flash cards, accessories, probably about 1200-1500 max.

All of that comes to $17,850. Now, I could go to the Nikon D3 pro grade camera bodies at about 4,500 a piece, which would bump me up about 5000 or so. So even at that, I'm at about 22-23k. I couldn't imagine spending that kind of dough on one lens that would be of limited use to me. Heck, I wouldn't spend $500 on a limited use lens! Now if someone gave me the lens, I would play with it for a day or 2, then sell it for some real gear! ;)
 
Very smart!!! Im guessing that guy doesnt use that lens very often though. Unless your shooting something all the time thats really far away.
 
Methinks someone is compensating for deficiencies in other areas…………..! :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back