Old Monogram 1/48 P-51D Revamp

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Hi all,

Thought I'd post this W.I.P. This is an old Monogram P-51D in 1/48 I bought on sale about 7 years ago that was sitting in my cupboard until about January this year. Although dimensionally accurate, this model had some issues - poor fit at wing roots, a lower removable, very thick engine cowl that covered a not very detailed engine and badly warped wings with very little dihedral. Lots of fixing to do! Plus, I decided on representing the earlier D model without the fin extension so some butchering was in order. So I figured, what the heck, let's butcher it all the way!

I decided to cut the flaps and lower them. This, along with a 3" finishing nail wedged up inside the wing halves,helped to remove the warp, although not completely:
IMG_0999.jpg

I decided to practice some scratch building techniques on this guy so went wild on the wheel wells. I ground out the molded detail with my Dremel and replaced all the ribs with cut plastic card and added coolant and oil lines made of wire. Unfortunately, I ground out so much that the front edge of the port lower wing half disappered at the junction with the wheel well. Oops! It's replaced with plastic card and you can see it in the below photo:
IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

The detail at the wing roots where the flaps meet it is pretty complicated. After research of many photos, I replicated this area with plastic card:
IMG_1003.jpg

IMG_1000.jpg

Here's the modified tail with the fin extension removed and the gaps filled. Rudder was also cut out and put into a turn position:
IMG_1004.jpg

I didn't get progress photos of the cockpit but it's detailed using an Eduard coloured photetch set. Pictures later

Which brings us to the present. I've stopped detailing the wheel well for a bit and have started finish painting. I'll add all the hydraulics after the wheels are installed. Here's the paint scheme I'll be doing:

3_247.jpg

More to come as I make more progress.

Nice work mate! Looks like your example is suffering from the age of the moulds, but you seem to be on top of it. Looking forward to the next installment.
BTW, I never did understand why Monogram provided a separate lower cowling, as all it shows is the supercharger intake trunking. Perhaps it was their way of trying to get the underside nose profile right - just a shame it needs filling around the gaps though!

Nice work mate! Looks like your example is suffering from the age of the moulds, but you seem to be on top of it. Looking forward to the next installment.
BTW, I never did understand why Monogram provided a separate lower cowling, as all it shows is the supercharger intake trunking. Perhaps it was their way of trying to get the underside nose profile right - just a shame it needs filling around the gaps though!

Thanks Airframe. Yes, I agree that the cowl is a pain. It wasn't so much the filling - it actually fit not to bad dimensionally - it was more the thickness. Lots of sanding to blend it in and so I lost a lot of the very nice raised details in this area.

Another thing that is a challenge, not yet overcome, is the blocked out carb air filter vent near the nose. Monogram took the easy route by molding in the cover plate typically used in the winter but I need to simulate the vent holes, this being a summer maching in Italy in 1944. I'll probably make my own decals as the holes are smaller than even my smallest drill and the Eduard PE set did not include this vent.

Do you mean the breather vents, either side of the lower nose? These are the ones that are five or so rows of holes. If so, on mine, they were moulded-in, but not very well. I used a pin to create small 'dimples', and then, after painting, used a dark wash to fill the depressions. Looked passable in this scale.

Do you mean the breather vents, either side of the lower nose? These are the ones that are five or so rows of holes. If so, on mine, they were moulded-in, but not very well. I used a pin to create small 'dimples', and then, after painting, used a dark wash to fill the depressions. Looked passable in this scale.

Yup. Those are the ones. Nothing is molded in on this kit except the panel that was used to cover these holes in the winter. So basically, I'm down to bare plastic and have to replicate the holes.

I've created the pattern on my computer and reduced it to the right scale. Next, I'm going to try to print it to decal paper and use that. Will let you know how it goes.

More progress pics. Painting has begun. Using Testors silver as the natural metal base.

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

Darker panel at the exhaust stacks:
IMG_1036.jpg

Prop and nose now red, drop tanks painted although I'm not going to use these since evidence is against likelihood of these types of tanks being used by the 15th AF in Italy:
IMG_1037.jpg

Wheels on and anti-glare paint on the nose done. Pressed some rivet holes in the top of the nose where all the detail was removed during sanding.
IMG_1042.jpg

Wheels are Aires resin. Strut details are Eduard Photoetch:
IMG_1049.jpg

Radiator louver open with actuators installed using sprue. Maybe a little thick.
IMG_1047.jpg

Tail wheel broke off during handling so I reinforced it with a cut staple drilled into both pieces and superglued. Good opportunity to turn the wheel with the rudder.
IMG_1048.jpg

Yet to do: decals, continue detailing the wheel wells area, weather, attach canopy and the little bits, detail machine gun bay. Lots more to come. Wheel wells at present before hydraulics to be added:
IMG_1046.jpg

Home made decal success! (so far)

Designed the Carb Air Filter intake grille and gas caps in MS Picture It and printed them with my inkjet onto Testors decal paper. Sprayed bonder on and letting it dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll put them on the model and will upload more pictures.

Decal.jpg

Ace Crimea! I could make decals too if I bought the paper, but I dont have a dang clue on what I would make.. not enough backround knowledge on stuff to go and invest into personal decals. I wouldnt mind a "Maglar Rules" decal on the B17 though.. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back