Old Racing Cars

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great pics, 2 events I would love to go to is Goodwood and the Isle of Mann races....

Hi Eagle,

>is that an aston martin I spy going out wide in the first pic?

I believe it is! Here is a closer shot of the same car ... and some more British sports cars, which were quite numerous at the event :)

I have to admit that I suffered from a bit of sensory overload at the track and didn't manage to photograph, appreciate (or sometimes, even notice1) every car while I was there.

In addition to the cars that were raced, the visitors brought another hundred or so of vintage cars in the static display! So many cars to look at ... guess I'll have to pay another visit to Salzburg next year ;)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• P1140842_Aston_Martin.jpg
    P1140842_Aston_Martin.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 953
  • P1140838_Lotus.jpg
    P1140838_Lotus.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 541
  • P1140798_Frogeye.jpg
    P1140798_Frogeye.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 521
  • P1140751_Lagonda.jpg
    P1140751_Lagonda.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 555
Hi Eagle,

>is that an aston martin I spy going out wide in the first pic?

I believe it is! Here is a closer shot of the same car ... and some more British sports cars, which were quite numerous at the event :)

I have to admit that I suffered from a bit of sensory overload at the track and didn't manage to photograph, appreciate (or sometimes, even notice1) every car while I was there.

In addition to the cars that were raced, the visitors brought another hundred or so of vintage cars in the static display! So many cars to look at ... guess I'll have to pay another visit to Salzburg next year ;)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

That would have been good, I am jealous! Its nothing like the car shows I have been to. In the pic from the front it look like the DB5 from Goldfinger but I wasn't entirely sure.

The Lotus 49 today. Babs in an interesting one as it was built for a Land Speed record attempt and in 1927 was buried in the sands at Pendine where it remained for about 75 years.
It was dug up, rebuilt and runs today. Being built for a Land Speed record it isn't at home on a track and while it flew down the straight, it isn't that good on corners. The only brake I could see was a handbrake on the right of the car which was janked around to slow for the corners.

Attachments

• BABS.jpg
    BABS.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,387
  • PICT0518.jpg
    PICT0518.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 484
  • Jim Clark's.jpg
    Jim Clark's.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 502
Hi Lucky,

>How about these?8)

Great! :)

>Lotus 49

Is that Graham Hill behind the wheel?

We had some formula cars at Salzburg, too ... but I don't recognize all of the types.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• P1140547_Lotus.jpg
    P1140547_Lotus.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 481
  • P1140548_Serenissima.jpg
    P1140548_Serenissima.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 467
  • P1140558_Formula.jpg
    P1140558_Formula.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 466
  • P1140607_Formula.jpg
    P1140607_Formula.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 451
  • P1140626_March.jpg
    P1140626_March.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 743
  • P1140636_Formula.jpg
    P1140636_Formula.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 459
Hi Glider,

>Babs in an interesting one as it was built for a Land Speed record attempt and in 1927 was buried in the sands at Pendine where it remained for about 75 years.

Wow! But why did they bury it in the first place?

The engine sure looks like a big aviation V-12 engine ... do you know which one it was?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Oh, man!! Great pics!! I heard about this in the UK and thought it a great idea! I'm cracking up over the Mini Coopers, Opels and who let the Fairlane in there? This is what styling is, not that fiberglass crap they make now.

Hi Clave,

>They didn't bury it on purpose - it crashed.

What a sad story! And what courage to race the re-built car ... not because of the imaginary ghosts of the past, but because it sounds as if they never found out the reason for the crash for certain - maybe it still lurks in the design! =:-O

>Oh, and Babs had a Liberty engine apparently:

Ah, makes sense considering the early date of the design. Thanks! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back