P-38L-5-LO from Trumpeter kit in 1/32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi evrybody,
I'm working on some details like the p.e. hinges to be fixed to undercarriage covers and I hope to be able to show some pictures soon.
Today I received brass barrel set made by Profimodeller and decal sheet from Kits-world to do "Gung Ho"

p38-gung-ho.jpg

According to decal's instruction, this bird will be all natural metal except olive drab anti-glare panels, red tip on the nose and a black square on the fin.
According to your knowledge, is it all? Unfortunately the only picture I found so far is the one above.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Alberto

Some more updates.
I scratch-built a functional bulkhead to fix in position all five gun barrels

DSCN0559.JPG
DSCN0560.JPG

this will be painted first with mat black and then with almost dry dark iron on gun barrels; it should work well.

This sub-assembly will be positioned inside the nose and fixed there using the two little metal tangs with screws visible in the picture

DSCN0562.JPG

to get this:

DSCN0563.JPG
DSCN0564.JPG
DSCN0565.JPG
DSCN0566.JPG

The nose will be finally glued to the fuselage, of course after masking the barrels

DSCN0567.JPG
DSCN0568.JPG

Additionally I started working on landing gear covers adding all little hinges from the p.e. set.

DSCN0569.JPG
View attachment 244615
DSCN0571.JPG
DSCN0572.JPG

If the weather will be fine, I should be able to start painting on Wednesday.
Alberto

Last edited:
Great stuff Alberto, those guns look the part. Might have some problems masking them when painting the nose though, unless they can be fitted after painting?

Great stuff Alberto, those guns look the part. Might have some problems masking them when painting the nose though, unless they can be fitted after painting?
Yes, it will not be easy, I'm considering to use small pieces of plastic tube.
Of course I could fit them after painting, but I will have to deal with a large seam between nose and fuselage that will not be easy to deal with as I'm thinking to use Alclad II paints.
Alberto

Al I am thinking that is your best looking pit yet :thumbright: I love those barrels and just glancing the fit really does not look bad from here.Some of those coffee stirers might work for the barrels?I used on some 1/72 propellars recently and the brown ones are even smaller than the red ones.

This is a great step by step guide. Very nice work Alberto. I am going to have to add this bird to my stash. How do you find the fitting of parts?

This is a great step by step guide. Very nice work Alberto. I am going to have to add this bird to my stash. How do you find the fitting of parts?
Hi, isn't easy to answer your last question.
The main issue is how to get a good fit between wings and fuselage: first you need to scratch-build a spar to get a strong link between them and possibly do a sketch to understand the correct value of the angle.
This is what I did:

angolo ali.jpg

After that you will be left with some gaps to be filled, but not too much.

In my case some more filling was needed in the centreline of booms and between and between booms and coolant radiators.

Generally speaking, in my opinion isn't isn't at the same quality levels as some recent Tamiya kits but isn't bad, worth the money it cost.

With the addition of a few p.e. items you cold end with a nice model (I hope it will be the case of mine ...)
Alberto

Hi,
I started painting and I'm going to use Alclad II lacquers, but I have a doubt and I will appreciate very much your opinion.
I intend to do Natural Metal finish in a WW2 environment, as I mentioned above and my doubt is: the finish was it very shining as seen in restored birds or a bit more dull?
BW period pictures seem to confirm the second option, so I would like to get some confirmation.
Many thanks in advance
Alberto

Hi everybody,
I did some progress here and I took some pictures. Unfortunately those taken this morning were taken outside with the wrong background and under an overcast sky, so they aren't good at all. I show some of them anyway in the hope that coming days will bring some sun.

DSCN0574.JPG
DSCN0575.JPG
DSCN0576.JPG
DSCN0577.JPG

You may have probably noticed that I tried to different tones of aluminium to highlight some details.

In the afternoon, after taking away the masking off the canopy, I took a few more pictures under artificial light. Still not the ideal condition for NMF model but, at least, I was able to appreciate that there are some areas that need to be addressed, before adding decals and start weathering.

DSCN0581.JPG
DSCN0582.JPG
DSCN0583.JPG

Will post more pictures soon, hopefully.
Alberto

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back