P-38L-5-LO from Trumpeter kit in 1/32 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
As I mentioned elsewhere in this forum, one day I decided that, besides it's a bit too large for my cabinets, I will do a P-38 Lightning, so I sent an order to a Chinese shop and I got it quite fast, considering the distance.

On receiving it, I was unable to resist and I opened the box immediately and what struck first my attention was the recommendation to put 60 grams of weight in the nose.
Easy, I filled the nose with lead shots and I put it on the scale: 18 grams including the plastic!!!!:shock::shock:
So I filled cartridge drums, 9 grams, so, in total less then half the suggested weight.
Therefore my attention went to the two Allison engines.
Trumpy provide two very detailed engines so, still having in mind my 60 grams goal, I decided to assembly them and fill them with lead.

engine instruc.jpg

At the end I got two engines weighting 40 grams each also being an additional modelling opportunity, see my pictures:

DSCN0317.JPG
DSCN0318.JPG
DSCN0319.JPG
DSCN0320.JPG

Nice, isn't?

Absolutely not!
According to something I read, they are incorrect in many details and approx 5 mm too short!!

And even if the were OK, what you will see while they will be assembled into their nacelles, see here:

DSCN0321.JPG
DSCN0322.JPG
DSCN0323.JPG
DSCN0324.JPG

And if you add the propellr hub?

DSCN0325.JPG

Of course I could have done some surgery and open a couple of nacelle panel, but this is worth doing if the engine are correct, not in this case.

I also did some research and I found the Engine Things supply acceptable Allison engines in resin but they cost USD 24 each plus freight from Canada and I read that the mould is old, so the quality could be questionable.

Conclusion: I solved the weight issue, so my model will not sit on its tail and there will be no engine exposed.

Any comment and/or suggestion are very welcome, as always.
Alberto

Nice work, and good weight calculations, Alberto!
The more I hear about Trumpeter kits, the more I learn about major inaccuaracies with them - and what a waste, providing detailed engines, even though they are under-sized, without providing separate cowling panels! OK, yes, the panels could be cut out and some scratch-building done, but then the engines are wrong anyway!
I'd much rather have less hassle, and less cost of the kits, if these gimmicks were omitted, and if the manufacturers provide only part of what's needed, and not accurate at that, but I'm sure you'll do a great job and end up with a great model Alberto.

Well, in order to be on the safe side, I bought white metal undercarriage legs ....they should not collapse under that weight!!!!
Alberto

Nice work, and good weight calculations, Alberto!
The more I hear about Trumpeter kits, the more I learn about major inaccuaracies with them - and what a waste, providing detailed engines, even though they are under-sized, without providing separate cowling panels! OK, yes, the panels could be cut out and some scratch-building done, but then the engines are wrong anyway!
I'd much rather have less hassle, and less cost of the kits, if these gimmicks were omitted, and if the manufacturers provide only part of what's needed, and not accurate at that, but I'm sure you'll do a great job and end up with a great model Alberto.

I concor Terry but we do have Trump to thank for pushing the enevelope for 1/32 and 1/24 making other companies come forward to compete.Al I remember JRutman's conversion over at LSP I think it was a Revell took some work to get up to his standards but remember how nice it came out!I do not know why Trump does not put forth more effort into the engines?the P-51 1/24 suffers some of the same afflications??

Last edited:
Hi,
thanks to all for your comments.
In facts there is a thread on LSP, link
Revell,Trumpeter P-38M Double Build - Works in Progress - LSP Forums
from where I'm taking a a lot of information and suggestions.
One suggestion is to reinforce the wing-fuselage linkage as well wings themselves; besides they are quite long, Trumpy didn't provided anything to do the job.
Here my solution: an aluminium bar, bent to keep the 5.4 deg angle and steel rod to support wings.

DSCN0335.JPG
DSCN0336.JPG

Next steps on this build will follow some time later as next week I will move wife , cats and myself to my holiday house. In my car's trunk there will also be a wooden box with everything needed to work on this project.
Alberto

Slowly but steadily I'm going further with this model, here some pictures of the cockpit:

DSCN0381.JPG
DSCN0382.JPG
DSCN0383.JPG
DSCN0384.JPG

On last picture I marked throttle controls that I made using p.e. supplied with the kit, but I don't like them: in my opinion they are too big with a too wide handle, so I'm going to scratch build them. I did already some trials using a piece of metal wire dipped into epoxy glue in order to form a small ball on the tip: it works fine!

I also assembled the gun bay
DSCN0385.JPG

View attachment 236754
DSCN0387.JPG

Here I'm not convinced about the pillars supposed to support the four machine guns, are they correct in your opinion?
I searched my docs and I didn't found anything to confirm either way.
It's a pity because this area can be seen if I leave the covers open.

To get a better result I also purchased four m.g. from MDC, as you can see, they are much better (and longer) then those supplied with the kit.

DSCN0388.JPG

Alberto

Last edited:
Nice work Alberto, and I agree about the throttle controls. Not sure about the MG mounts, but I'll have a look in my references - if I find anything, I'll post it here.
The Brownings in the kit look very strange, so a good choice to go with the MDC versions. I noticed on their site yesterday, they also produce flexible .50 cal ammunition belts.

Dear all, here following are some pictures of my last progress on this build:

The cockpit first, with some added details but still missing safety belts pedals and dashboard

DSCN0429.JPG
DSCN0431.JPG
DSCN0442.JPG

The new home made red handles are probably still a bit too big but, in my opinion, they are much better.

DSCN0428.JPG
DSCN0444.JPG

DSCN0431.JPG

and then the gunbay.

First I repainted the ammo boxes in stainless steel colour.

DSCN0434.JPG

in addition I tried to improve the M.G. installation

DSCN0432.JPG
DSCN0439.JPG
DSCN0440.JPG
DSCN0447.JPG

For sure I have to cover in some way the bottom of the ammo boxes.

Now the issue is how to correctly install M.G.s ...

Some more will follow soon or later.
Alberto

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back