P-38L-5-LO from Trumpeter kit in 1/32 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I just started the old Revell 1/32 p-38j. I hope it goes together half as good. Looks great. I may have missed it,but what nmf paint did you use?

Many thanks for all comments!
In answer to prem895, this is the second time in five years that I use Alclad II paints for nmf, so I cannot really say that I'm an expert.
But I can say that this last experience was very good:

- I obtained a very good finish that's also very strong: this allowed me rub it with micro finishing abrasive sheets without damaging the coat shade.
- In facts I was able to rub imperfection areas whit grit 1000 abrasive down to plastic, finish with 4000 and 12000 grit and paint again: perfect!
- I over-sprayed with Olive Drab acrylic, the anti-glare panels and worked very well. My idea here is that I could try to rub just some small portion of OD to show some of the aluminium paint and simulate wear.

For the undercoat I used the specific Alclad "Gloss black base" that worked well as well, but next time I will probably do a preliminary coating with a white or grey primer: the reason is that, at least in my case, the above black undercoat didn't helped to outline imperfections.

Cheers
Alberto

A few more pictures; still with no decals and weathering, but with some paint work done on propeller, nose, and fin.
Again, not yet the best light conditions: too much sun, today!

DSCN0587.JPG
DSCN0588.JPG
DSCN0589.JPG
DSCN0590.JPG
DSCN0591.JPG
DSCN0592.JPG
DSCN0594.JPG

As you can notice, some small hatches are darker in colour, well I want to say that, beside masking and spraying a different shade, I discovered a new way to do them, at lest new to me.
Masking is still needed but, instead of spraying, I used Tamiya weathering master: it worked very well!
Some more to follow asap.
Alberto

Looks great. Is that od?

Yes, it is olive drab but the direct sunlight had a fading effect on everything: consider that the background was black but in some pictures looks light grey!
Alberto

Done all decals and some other details but no pictures yet, I hope to take them tomorrow, if weather permit.
In the mean time I'm working on HVR rockets that will be hung under wings and I have a question, do you know which colour were they painted?
This photo found on the web shows a light grey, but which one?
5hvar_3.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Alberto

Nice work Alberto. Can't help on the actual shade of grey for the HVARs, but I'd just paint them a shade that's close, and looks right.

Many thanks for all comments, specially on the HVAR rockets!!!
Unfortunately no pictures yet: it keeps raining ...
Back on the rockets, today I purchased Tamiya sky grey, it looks really OK compared with the photos, but searching a bit more on the web I found that, very likely, the correct colour used during WW2 was a kind of green , this one:
HVAR_Render1.jpg

Instead the light grey was used in WW2 by USN and by everybody after WW2.
One source of these information is this one:
3D max 5 inch HVAR
and is confirmed on CMK instruction sheet.
Alberto

Thanks Crimea River for the last picture, it just confirm that USN rockets were painted in grey.
Instead, does anybody know where to find stencils to go on those HVARs? I bought the CMK set, including three rockets, in the hope to find in the pack decals that I could replicate, but none was included.
Alberto

Hi everybody,
a few more pictures of my "work in progress"

DSCN0631.JPG
DSCN0633.JPG

DSCN0630.JPG

DSCN0635.JPG

I decided to cut side windows and show them partially lowered.

Large black "C" and square on fins have been painted on, all other are decals, mostly from the very nice Kits-World sheet

And one shot on the underside where some weathering has been done in the central wing area and on auxiliary tanks.

DSCN0629.JPG

Some more to follow soon
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back