P-38L-5-LO from Trumpeter kit in 1/32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's not good, considering the high price they charge for their gear legs.
And the cat has a guilty look on its face as if to say "Who, me? I didn't do it, honest!"

Bad luck Alberto. I've not known white metal to bend. It usually snaps.

Well, this isn't new to me.
I the past I did several 90 mm figurines starting from white metal alloy kits.
If they were on horse-back, like these two examples:
DSCN0313 res.jpg
DSCN0326 res.jpg

It was common that, after a while, the weight (over one kilo) will start bending horse legs so it was mandatory to put a metal rod to support, but I wasn't expecting this to happen here because the total weight of the model is just about half kilo and is supported on three points.
One more lesson learned: next time I will save money and troubles.
Alberto

Beautiful work !
I've used white metal guns and some undercarriage parts years ago, and found they can easily be bent too. But for the size (and price) of the P-38 gear, you would have thought a better 'grade' of casting would have been used.

Today, the last day of the year, I also did the last bit of this build. Not yet ready to be moved to the "complete" session because I need to took better photos of the whole thing, so I just present one of them:

DSCN0696 rid.jpg

A bit better are close-up pictures:

DSCN0711 rid.jpg
DSCN0697 rid.jpg
DSCN0699 rid.jpg
DSCN0700 rid.jpg
DSCN0703 rid.jpg
DSCN0705 rid.jpg
DSCN0706 rid.jpg
DSCN0707 rid.jpg
DSCN0708 rid.jpg
DSCN0709 rid.jpg
DSCN0710 rid.jpg

Happy New Year again!
Alberto

Many thanks for all comments.
I'm fairly happy of this build, even if there are here and there a number of small faults.
I don't know when I will do an other NMF but, with this one, one lesson I surely learned: don't always trust people in model shops.
For the painting of the model I used Alclad II products: various shades of metal lacquers and, as a base coat, "Gloss Black Base".
In my experience, the latter is a very good base but absolutely not what the seller told me: a primer.
The adhesion to bare plastic is good but cracks, scratches etc. aren't highlighted like with any normal primer and I discovered them only after the first metal paint was applied.
Therefore the need to sand, polish and repaint some areas.

By the way I also learned how helpful can be metallic waxes like those shown here:

Stamperia

The work perfectly to cover any defect on metal surfaces.

Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back