P-40 Twin

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Twin Mustang next and not the P-82!
I was looking over the earlier part of this thread and saw this comment.

Well Jan, better late than never!

I put this together to see what it would look like. I'll have to give some more thought to the radiator position. Not enough cooling for 2 engines like this, but take it away from there and it doesn't look like a Mustang. Cant put them behind the engines because of the landing gear.
The P-40s location was perfect for something like this.

Maybe I need to keep my eyes open for a couple of cheep 1/72ns scale P-51 kits

Last edited:
Hello T Bolt, et al.

I have also thought about doing the twin P-40 build but for a flight simulator instead of in plastic.
The beauty of this setup in my opinion is that from the side, it looks just like a regular P-40F.
There are plenty of problems that come up though when one actually considers what the actual aircraft would be.

Consider that if a Merlin P-40 is a reasonably balanced aircraft (which it is not), what would happen if an additional engine were added alongside the first. The new engine, propeller, and radiator would weigh at least 2500 pounds and would all be sitting ahead of the Center of Gravity.
What is needed is additional non-disposable loads behind the CoG.
The Wing Area would still be 236 square feet, so the wing loading would be pretty horrible.

If the Engine nacelles are lowered below the wing, they do improve the view from the cockpit, but they start interfering with the flaps.

-----

In my concept of the twin P-40 (which I have been calling the "Tiger Shark", no not a really original name), the only requirement is that the profile remain nearly identical to the original P-40 because it is obvious many things need to change.
The Wings from the nacelles outboard are at least the length of the original wings to have some reasonable wingspan and area.
The nacelles have a similar outline, but the equipment arrangement is different.
They are closer in concept to a short P-38 boom. The front end now contains an intercooler. The radiator and oil coolers are moved to the back of the nacelle with a scoop on the top side for cooling. The auxiliary stage supercharger or turbo fits between engine and radiators.
There obviously needs to be more fuel and that can be put into an extended wing center section between the cockpit and nacelles.
Armament fits under the cockpit where the P-40 wing tanks originally were.
Stabilizers would also be significantly longer. I haven't figured out how to increase fin and rudder area without changing the profile.

- Ivan.

Go with the SB2C tail arrangement. At least its still a Curtiss product.

More work on the nose.
I cut up the unused upper wing parts from the second P-40 kit for the side panels. The curve of the airfoil was almost a perfect match for the side curve of the nose. Still have a whole lot of shaping to do with my trusty file.

After hours of work the nose is now finished and ready to install. The lines you see in the silver plastic are just ghost images of the original raised detail on the Nuke and have been filed off and sanded smooth along with the rest of the nose structure.
The two bits to the left of the nose in the last picture are the beginnings of the rear end of the lover nacelles made up from The 75 gal drop tank included in the p-40 kit.

Users who are viewing this thread