P-40 Twin

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After a delay of over 5 years the time has come to start in on the 1/48 scale version of this puppy.

So for a quick rundown on what I'm trying to do here:
There has been a mysterious picture of a twin engine P-40 floating around for years (see post #1). My opinion of this picture (discussed in detail in the first few posts of this thread) is that it was a prank played my a maintenance crew way back when, who put this together using parts from several P-40 wrecks. The fuselage from a P-40E and the engines from one of the Merlin powered variants, either a P-40F or L.

I decided to modify two P-40 kits to depict it as if it were a real aircraft treating the aircraft in the picture as a mock up. I didn't want to cut up two perfectly good 1/48 scale kits before I knew I could do it, so I started with two old 1/72 Heller kits in the previous part of this thread and made it as the prototype based on a short fuselage P-40E with Allison engines being evaluated at Wright Field.

The 1/48th model I've started today would be a production version based in the longer tail P-40F with Packard Merlin engines.

The kits are 2 bagged AmTech P-40F/L kits I bought for this build. The AmTech kits are actually the old AMT molds which were also put out in various versions by Hobby Craft Mauve and Eduard.

I started by gluing on all the engine cowl side panels. I really like these P-40 kits and have built quite a few of them but this is my least favorite part of them. The panels are too short and don't fit very well in the other directions and take some work with a file to get a decent fit. The shortness of the panel didn't hurt this time as that is where I intend to make my cut, so I just lined up the front and left a gap at the rear, opposite of what I do when building a normal P-40 where I line up the rear and shim the front. Sorry the pictures are a bit fuzzy, the battery of my DSLR was dead so I used my cell phone.
IMG_3763.JPG

I then started in on the wing by snipping off the landing gear fairing and plugging up all the holes from the back side. I also filled the depression made from the gun butt hump so I would not blow through the plastic when it was sanded off.
IMG_3764.JPG
IMG_3765.JPG

Here I have the port side wheel well plugged, the ejector chute holes filled and landing gear fairing and gun butt hump filed flush.
IMG_3766.JPG

Everything filled, filed, sanded and re-scribed
IMG_3767.JPG

I did the scribing with this which came in the mail a couple of days ago. This is by far the best scribing tool I have ever used. Its easy to handle and makes a beautify clean line just the right width. I can not recommend it more!
IMG_3768.JPG

Thanks guys

I glued up the engine cowls and you can see the bad joints on the top in this picture I drilled the dzus fasteners deeper so I wouldn't loose them

P1012915.JPG

The engine cowls after a lot of time spent filling, filing sanding and re-scribing

P1012917.JPG

The fuselage gluing up started. The parts were pretty warped. I have not run in to problems to this extent when building the AMT P-40 kits. Must be something in the way AmTech produced them.

P1012916.JPG

The warp came out ok and the forward end was glued up

P1012918.JPG

This is such a cool build I signed up to this forum just to follow it and get notifications :D
Thanks for taking an interest in my project. I've started in working on it again and have made some progress over the last few days

Holes were drilled into the leading edge of the wing and a couple of pieces of extra thick sprue (from the Williams Bros. C-46 kit) were inserted. These are aligned at the thrust line of the engines and will support the engines wile I build up the nacelles behind them.

P1013176.JPG

The exhaust stacks, drilled out, painted and ready to install

P1013178.JPG

The engines almost ready to mount in the wings. The radiator inserts have been glued in but still need some attention at the top just below the spinner and the exausts still need to be installed

P1013177.JPG

Someone did a twin P-40 for one of the modeling magazines some years back. The nose he used looked terrible. Maybe use one from a P-38 or emulate an XF5F. I'd think the wings would have to be longer, realistically.

Good luck and press on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back