P-40 Twin

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The lower nacelles are proving to be a lot more difficult to do in 1/48th scale than they were in 1/72nd. I've been trying various bits and pieces I have on hand but nothing seemed to work. I was about to try forming them with thin strips of card stock like barrel staves when I happened to look in the box with the left over parts from the two P-40 kits I've been cannibalizing and saw the optional engine cowl panels that came with the kits. They had a nice curve to them and taper to the spinner which I can turn around facing backwards, and best of all there are 4 of them.

The first picture shows the exhaust slots filled in and sanded smooth and the second shot shows the first one in place after a lot of custom trimming. It looks as though they will work out Ok for the main portion of the nacelles but there will still be a lot of fill in to do around the wings.

Plowing through a wet field it must be making this one. But thelines are there and look very good

Very much enjoying this build.

Thanks fore watching. It's been a lot more work than the smaller version. I'll be starting to do the fill-in at the wing today, then I will probably give all that glue a week to cure to prevent any sink marks before I start with the CA filler and filing to shape.

Users who are viewing this thread