P-47D RAZORBACK, 1/48 Monogram " DONE! "

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are very kind with your comments Wayne and Glenn :thumbleft::thumbright:

To install the cowling on the fuselage I decided to make this support structure ... !!

169.jpg

170.jpg

171.jpg

Next, I did a test first with the top of the fuselage with the intention of making a painting effect opaque and burnt by the sun; :mrgreen: I liked how it was and I tried equally with wings. Direct oil paintings and some mixed to mottle the surface and then intermixed with flat brushes and cotton swabs ...

172.jpg

The intention is also that the emblems were not so clean (as if they were decals ...:-$)
I went down the intensity to achieve a reasonable aspect (so it did not look exaggerated) ... I hope the sharpness of photos allows them to appreciate it.

173.jpg

174.jpg

In this next picture it is best seen the effect I want, on the back in front of the windshield ...
175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

...What do you think?

... Now I return with which they could be the latest photos of this ... my SECOND WORKBENCH ... :thumbup:

... Tires ready for assembly ...

179.jpg

With a very skinny wire and with the help of a needle I made this little piece to fasten the antenna wire ...

178.jpg

... And so it was mounting the antenna wire at each end ...

180.jpg

181.jpg

... Aligned, balanced and instead tires ...

182.jpg

183.jpg

With these images I conclude this long, fun and very constructive adventure in the increasingly exciting world of modeling.

I stand up =D> to the formidable teachings, explanations, excellent photographs and lessons learned from so many of you; as well as all such visits and comments of many more HOBBY FELLOWS :wav:

Coming soon the photo shoot of my Pecua stay in "La Galeria de Sancer" (you know where to find it)
I will be pending answer any questions in the future and ... keep in touch ...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Great work Luis.
Sorry to have to tell you, but it's very doubtful there was an antenna wire. By this stage, 8th FC were using VHF radios, with the antenna in the mast.

Great work Luis.
Sorry to have to tell you, but it's very doubtful there was an antenna wire. By this stage, 8th FC were using VHF radios, with the antenna in the mast.

You probably have reason Terry (always I appreciate any comment :salute:).

I have met with a diverse variety of antenna on the P-47, I know there are several versions and squadrons with changes and improvements to the design. I share with you some of the pictures that got to prepare my Pecua.

p47_thunderbolt_formation__by_emigepa-d4cu24n.jpg
p47dbc_001.jpg
p-47-d-razorback-jugs.jpg
Republic P-47D Thunderbolt flown by Capt Henry Kucheman, 354th FS, 355th FG, England, 1943.jpg
Republic_P-47B_Thunderbolt_NACA.jpg
Republic_P-47D-22-RE_Thunderbolt_(sn_42-25969).jpg

I made the antenna wire according to images of the version and squadron I represented.

I will be more attentive to comment and so keep learning.

I admire your knowledge in the field of military aviation, and that's something I love.

Saludos amigo :thumbup:

No problem Luis.
The only image to trust in those you posted is the last one, showing the P-47 in NMF.
This is from the 361st FG, who changed to Mustangs in April / May 1944, and as you can see, there is no antenna wire. The other images are digital image, another model, inaccurate decal instructions, possibly the same for the profile depending on date depicted, and a very early P-47 in the USA (where HF radio, with a wire, was used).
Your model of Frank Kibbe's aircraft is as it was in March 1944, when VHF radio was definitely in place in the northern ETO.
Note though, that in the MTO and PTO, a wire antenna was used, with HF radio, due to the relatively short range of VHF compared to the long distance missions flown.
But as you've fitted the wire, it would be a shame to have to take it off and possibly damage the model, so I'd just leave it in place !

Tanks Terry. Great información. It was very interesting to make some modifications to improve their appearance to this old Monogran mold without buying anything extra.

Muchas gracias por todo compadrito

WOW WOW that is just one beautiful looking P-47 Razorback. Overall aweome on the finish :)

Cheers Brian

Thanks Brian, I follow your work in FB and now your "Pecua" here in the forum. A great start, I will be pending. A hug.

Great job Luis, loved following the build.

Geo

It has been a pleasure and great teaching your company and participation. Thanks George.

Looks great, well done

I am surrounded among a large group of friends, lovers of Modelism and knowledgeable about this fantastic era in military aviation. Therefore continue learning and enjoying from all of you. Karl grateful for your comments.

:thumbright:

Regarding the antenna wire... any of these images below , I found via the net , indicates there was the kind of the wire.

I have seen in other workbenchs colleagues and other topics of this fantastic forum, your participation with comments, timely information and images you share, enrich the value and show us new things that motivate further improvement. Lots and lots, thanks Wojtek

Delighted to be here and to share ... :thumbup:

Good stuff Andy and Wojtek. These appear to be the caps, tape, and the 'wax' type of muzzle 'plug'.
Regarding the antenna wire, I can only see what is possibly the fin tensioning spring, in the second photo in post # 254, the angle of which suggest the wire is running to the top of the mast, a set-up which changed by mid-1943 to a fuselage lead-in. (It might actually be a mark on the print.)
The wire, and HF radio, was certainly in use up to around September 1943, but then the change to VHF radios started, and photos of 56th FG aircraft from at least February 1944, show the lack of wire.

I can only see what is possibly the fin tensioning spring, in the second photo in post # 254, the angle of which suggest the wire is running to the top of the mast,

Terry, if you meant the dark dot at the fin.... it isn't the tensioning spring. That's a piece of fluff in my opinion. I have the pic of the large size and here is a clipped part of it. Please pay your attention to the first pic in my post. It seems to be the same shot of the aircraft . There isn't any trace of the spring ( dot ) seen.

P-47 HV-V large1.jpg

Contrary to that pic above, the tensioning spring can be noticed clearly in the image below... it appears to be longer and doesn't look like a dark dot.

P-47D_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back