P-51 B36457 WR-O, Capt Bert Marshall 354th FS, 355th FG

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If those who do one all take at least one pic at the same height and angle of view, they could then be lined up by stitching the pics together. That is, if someone who know how to do this will do it !!
EDIT: Finally got to see the pics! Great stuff Bill. Am I right in thinking that the P51C, WR-P, 2106950, was at one time named 'Iowa Beaut' ?

Last edited:
EDIT: Finally got to see the pics! Great stuff Bill. Am I right in thinking that the P51C, WR-P, 2106950, was at one time named 'Iowa Beaut' ?

Yes - that pic is Iowa Beaut some time after it was recoded WR-P and received an engine change. I have a much larger image in which you can see the "Iowa Beaut" in Red. It was flown primarily by Hulderman until it went down.

Lee Mendenhall is slow timing the engine and the pic was taken by a 91st BG Fort ambling around Bassinbourn/Steeple Morden airspace..

It went down when Rafferty was hammered by flak on the deck as dad was shooting at a 109 on September 11, 1944. This was one of the four plane Red Flight that Dan modelled so well in his IL-2 representation last year.

here is a larger pic

Attachments

• 354 WRP_Iowa Beaut (ex WRA Man o War)_42-106950 [ethell].jpg
    354 WRP_Iowa Beaut (ex WRA Man o War)_42-106950 [ethell].jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 138
That last pic of Mendenhall tucking the 51 next to the waist gunner is one of my favorite all time pics.. too bad this wan't in color like the stand off shots..

wish this one of Kinnard's bird was the same quality

Attachments

• 355fg WRA_Man O War_Kinnard_413305_jul1944 [morris].jpg
    355fg WRA_Man O War_Kinnard_413305_jul1944 [morris].jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Hell's Teeth! Any closer and the photographer would be getting a free shave and trim !!!
Great pics Bill. Now I need a suggestion as to which one to build (of your Dad's kites, that is) !!
I think I'll probably be doing 'Iowa Beaut' anyway, with the kill markings removed, but want to do a 'D' also.

Hell's Teeth! Any closer and the photographer would be getting a free shave and trim !!!
Great pics Bill. Now I need a suggestion as to which one to build (of your Dad's kites, that is) !!
I think I'll probably be doing 'Iowa Beaut' anyway, with the kill markings removed, but want to do a 'D' also.

T- my favorite combination is Jane IV which is on the cover of my book.

The white spinner, red cowl and rudder and lower black/white invasion stripes is just a great combination.

Attachments

• 355fg book [marshall].jpg
    355fg book [marshall].jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 355fg WRBbar_Jane IV_414799_oct1944 [marshall].jpg
    355fg WRBbar_Jane IV_414799_oct1944 [marshall].jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 355fg WRBbar_marshall_29nov [marshall].jpg
    355fg WRBbar_marshall_29nov [marshall].jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 108
  • Jane IV_book model.jpg
    Jane IV_book model.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 109

double post on pics.. Yes a Hasegawa 1:32 which I built and sent to Harley Copic to use for the cover art on the book

Last edited:
Wayne - I just bought the new 1:32 P-51B/Mk III (Trumpeteer?) which I will build when i uncover myself after this move.. It is a nice kit.

Historically speaking WR-O was OD when it had full fuselage stripes - and the a/c was restored to NMF the same day the top stripes were removed..

If you 'stay' with the historical, then the kill markings are also different.... white circles with imbedded swastika instead of the red flag/white circle he adopted when the OD was removed.

I have always liked the nmf/white cowl/anti-glare panel slightly better than OD/White cowl and that is the way I'll do this beast when I get to it.

Attachments

• 354 WRO_Jane_Marshall-43-6457 [marshall].jpg
    354 WRO_Jane_Marshall-43-6457 [marshall].jpg
    39 KB · Views: 103
  • 354 Marshall in WRO_17jun1944 [marshall].jpg
    354 Marshall in WRO_17jun1944 [marshall].jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 101

Users who are viewing this thread

Back