PBY CATALINA

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work.

About the scanned book pages. One must assume that all the Cat's bombs had delayed fuses if they were dropped "at mast level". I didn't realize they fuzed them all in such a manner. That seems a little strange to me. Also, with only a maximum of two .50s in the nose how the hell did they "sink" ships/barges/etc that had a displacement of thousands of tons? Hmmmm...

Like this: Lahodney's guns. Four fixed .50-caliber machine guns bolted to the keel proved lethal to enemy barges and other vessels.

quadguns.gif

Or like this: Black Cat crews were frequently experimenting with new weapons setups, trying to find the best way to do the maximum amount of damage. The unusual field installation shown below is a pair of fixed 20mm cannons mounted in the bow of a PBY-5A, during April of 1944. (Dave Lucabaugh)
Note removal of the two 30cal. machine guns from the eyeball turret above.

dual_20mm_nose-cannon.jpg

cannons.gif

Ahoy
thanks all of you fellas for your replies I am always honored by them y our a great bunch of guys. As to the build still going strong I(f everything goes well to plan I should have the intire fuselage completed along with installation of the tail featrhers. Then i will have thye painting all done this evening and lastly I will get started on the large vulture like wings. Here is the update on the tail feathers I just shot on a coat of gray primer and I am now apply a little filler to fill in the imperfections. Here is the update for the now stay tunes a big improvement this evening.

boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0002.JPG
    PICT0002.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 86
Ahoy
Thanks fellas for your replies they are wonderfull, As for gthe update for the night i assumed at the time I will have the fuselage all painted out and ready for the wings, But I got ahead of myself the tail section has been asembled nad installed to the tail empanage, tomorrow for certain i will start on the final paint schedule. I am letting the tail unit dry over night I filled in the seams with filler and letting it dry over night. tomorrow morning I will sand her down and prime and fill and prime until blemished free, then i will start on the paint schedule this is where the real fun will begin. Here is the update for the night thanks fellas.

Boats:D:D:D:D

Attachments

• PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 88
  • PICT0005.JPG
    PICT0005.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 88
I agree with all - and going to be a mighty impressive model when done !

Ahoy Terry
Thank you Dear Sir for your reply as quoted in reply of T Bolt The Catalina is takiing form this week you will see great progress, Thanks for your reply Terry.

Boats

Users who are viewing this thread

Back