Perfect Lifting body

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
http://de.acidcow.com/pics/20091012/acid_picdump_61_03.jpg

;
acid_picdump_61_03.jpg

...must bleed energy with that blunt front end :)

Well, there were some sacrifices... The contractor was directed to make Binocular Target Acquisition and Systems Guidance top priority and that made the leading edge a bit large. It excels at night operations!

Last edited:
If I remember right, it also has a high degree of stealth properties that allows it to approach and intercept targets without being detected by thier early warning gear, too.

Absolutely! Good call..

Special wing modifications make for a nearly silent flight.

Transport version with passenger:

SNN0414VC-682_817956a.jpg

I think all of y'all's perspective is wrong. That's a high-tech model ON TOP, with super-advanced breakthroughs in flap and wing design, streamlining, structural enhancements, and grappling systems. The matte-black night-fighter is bringing back the test drone...

If I remember right, it also has a high degree of stealth properties that allows it to approach and intercept targets without being detected by thier early warning gear, too.

Actually I think there is a lot of truth to the stealth claims. If I recall correctly, the small feathers in the face of the owl are specifically to reduce air turbulence/sound. Thus the owl absolutely has stealth qualities.

>>Actually I think there is a lot of truth to the stealth claims. If I recall correctly, the small feathers in the face of the owl are specifically to reduce air turbulence/sound. Thus the owl absolutely has stealth qualities.

>>The feathers are also designed to reduce noise, unlike normal bird feathers.

Guys.. play along...! Thats what i meant by:

Special wing modifications make for a nearly silent flight.

I've long thought that owls had the most amazing adaptations...

Guys.. play along...
I was playing along :)
but while we're in wildlife documentary mode: the wing feathers of normal birds are stiffened for the job of flight, the rustling/air beating noise is easily picked up with a reasonably large bird winging past overhead. The owl's flight feathers have a downy coating which does indeed reduce noise.

We need HoHun back for this one, he was a bit of an ornithologist, wasn't he?

Attachments

• owls-silent-flight.jpg
    owls-silent-flight.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 85

Users who are viewing this thread

Back