Photography - equipment, help hints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

thanks Eric, sage advice.

i have messed with the settings in manual mode without realy knowing what i was changing, might have to start writing down a few notes when things go well untill i start getting better results on a more regular basis !

Pull down the opanda software and look at the exif data on each image. It will tell you the aperture, ISO and shutter speed, among other settings. What is odd about those 2 shots is that the colors are dramatically different, not just the exposure. It looks like it might be a white balance or gamma setting that changed.

Pull down the opanda software and look at the exif data on each image. It will tell you the aperture, ISO and shutter speed, among other settings. What is odd about those 2 shots is that the colors are dramatically different, not just the exposure. It looks like it might be a white balance or gamma setting that changed.
will do just that Eric.

on the above pictures i think the camera was on auto and i had a setting for moving objects swithed on.
i've noticed i some times get the odd shot with a grainy old picture look, sometimes they look kinda cool though !

Your camera may have a setting for different lighting to Karl. Sun, cloud, shadow, florescent light, and irridescent light. These have a big effect on how the sensor sees the image. The first shot to me looks like the sensor changed this setting but I may be wrong.

Your camera may have a setting for different lighting to Karl. Sun, cloud, shadow, florescent light, and irridescent light. These have a big effect on how the sensor sees the image. The first shot to me looks like the sensor changed this setting but I may be wrong.
your right it does Aaron, think it was on auto so you may also be right on the sensor.

So that's a good example of why you should shoot manually. The auto mode will give you good pictures, but the results are inconsistent. Shooting manually can take it from good to great once you have worked out what settings work best for you.

Hey guys...I thought I'd post this here (I already did at FB)...

I came across this photographer's site and his technique is so freakin' cool, I really need to try it!

here's his site Daniel Kukla - The Edge Effect

And here's one of his images showing his technique

kukla1.jpg

(image ©Daniel Kukla)

here's an example.
these two pictures taken seconds apart on the same setting, what might have cause such different results ?

That almost looks like it has changed the white balance.

Are they scans from film? I know that when they used to process my films, they always put 'corrections' of the colour and brightness, unless I asked them not to. Have a look at the back of a processed photo some time. The numbers are the colour corrections.

Question, when shooting at an air show, do you have the image stabilizer on or off. I have read of two different schools of thought on this, just curious of what others do. I usually have my on, I was told that I would get better shots with it off, especially with flying aircraft.

Last edited:
Question, when shooting at an air show, do you have the image stabilizer on or off. I have read of two different schools of thought on this, just curious of what others do. I usually have my on, I was told that I would get better shots with it off, especially with flying aircraft.
i have it on all the time. Works fine for me.

My camera's old enough to not have it, and the only problems I've had are mainly due to the age of the lens I normally use (and its cheap quality). I think the answer to your question is not going to be a matter of which setting, so much as its going to be a matter of how much practice you've had with either setting. A $20,000 camera will give you cheap crappy vacation slides if you don't know what you're doing and aren't familiar and comfortable with your equipment (which is also, coincidentally, what she said). Take your gear out and play with it. Bruce Lee stated that he did not fear the man who practiced a thousand kicks one time, he feared the man who practiced one kick a thousand times. So whether you've got the $20,000 rig, or the $200 point-n-shoot, the one who's going to get the best images is usually the one who knows the limitations of their gear, what it can do and how to make it take the image that your eye has spotted.

It might depend on what sort of image stabilisation you have.
Here is an article that discusses the pros and cons of each system (in-lens and in-body).http://photographylife.com/lens-stabilization-vs-in-camera-stabilization

Whoever told you that may have been referring to performance of in-body stabilisation with long lenses. I have no experience with in-body stabilisation, as my camera is Canon which use the in-lens tech. I always keep mine on regardless of what I'm shooting.

I agree with every one, I always use my in-lens stabilization and had no problems, as you say gumbyk, they probably were talking about in-body stabilization. I also have a Canon and have had no problems, except when I get the senior shakes :lol:

Gumbyk, they claim that with the camera being still on the tri-pod that the I.S. will cause it to actually blur the shot. How this happens I don't know, but I have read it in several tutorials and in the book that I have for my camera. I figure the pros know more than I do.:dontknow: :) Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back