Photography - equipment, help hints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GrauGeist

Generalfeldmarschall zur Luftschiff Abteilung
We have a large number of folks here that share a common interest in photography. This also means that we all have cameras related equipment.

I thought that we could have a thread where we can all discuss our equipment (ok, maybe show 'em off a little), ask questions/get help and maybe share some tips.

There's a huge difference between shooting a flower with a Macro lens, and using a 70-300 lens to capture a YaK-9 as it makes a high-speed pass at an airshow.

This is not an "experts" only thread...this is a thread for anyone that has an interest in cameras, wants to share what they have, has a question about them or needs help.

Or even share some info that'll come in handy, for example: I know that my Pentax uses AA batteries like they're going out of style, yet I've discovered possably the best AA batteries ever that have lasted far beyond thier advertised limits!

There's a number of resident experts here than can shed some light on various techniques, like photographing model dioramas, the best lighting angles for static aircraft and more.

About those batteries I mentioned? I've tried everything for my Pentax which uses 4 AA batteries. Rechargable batteries I gave up on because they lasted for about 250 - 300 shots before needing recharging. After about 6 months, they'd lose thier ability to recharge and were just too expensive to replace (I had 16). I had fair success with the Energizer 03-2015 Alkaline (X91 LR6-AM3 1.5v). Also tried the Duracell PIX nickel oxy hydroxide (NX1500 ZR6 1.5v), but they were about the same. Both would yeild a fair amount of images and operate the camera's autofocus, etc. but really didn't last long...meaning that I had to carry backups if I was taking a large number of shots and/or running autofocus/flash, etc.

Then I grabbed some batteries on my way to see Aluminum Overcast last spring. The store was out of the usual ones I buy, so I went to the next available batteries, the Energizer Ultimate Lithium 03-2023 (L91 FR6 1.5v) and as it turned out, those 4 batteries lasted not only for the B-17's visit, but well into summer. I took over 1,500 photos before they started to fade. I replaced them for the Redding Airshow in September...and that second set is still in my camera, and going strong after about 1,700 photos!

By the way, the original 4 Ultimate Lithiums I bought last spring are in my Tv's remote, and still work fine. :lol:

Hesitating to buy the rechargeable batteries as they look very expensive for me with the recharger, I still use the alkalines as they are very cheap, say, two dollars(US) for 10 units.

Hi guys.

I'm all for a photography section in here, and I'd be happy to help as well as happy to learn more. ;)
About the batteries:
I've used the following three brands of rechargeable batteries for three years, and now they can't keep up anymore, so I've gotten a new set of AAs this christmas, and I am looking to buy one or two sets more as backup batteries:

The old AA ones:
Kameda 2500mAh
Albinar 2300mAh
Energizer 1300 mAh

The new set:
GP 2500 mAh

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new batteries work out, as it is pretty expensive to buy non-rechargeable batteries here - the rechargeable ones are better economy in the long run, even though a kit with charger is expensive at first glance.
For example, if I shop Duracell batteries online, I get 4 AA batteries for approx. 6 US$, which is cheaper than the local supermarket, who charges 8-10 US$ for 4 batteries of the same model and brand.

And a set of 2 rechargeable Panasonic AA 3000 mAh batteries costs 169 Dkr - that's approx. 31 US$, and a charger is about 27 US$, but since I have two chargers already, the only expensive things here is the new batteries. ;)
So I'll stick to the rechargeable ones, as they can be used many more times in the long run - three years of using the camera almost every day does take it's toll on batteries - even good quality rechargeable ones. ;)

As far as I've experienced, the batteries lasts longer, the higher the mAh number is.

Cheers,

Maria.

Last edited:
In theory, higher mAh batteries should last longer because they have more "juice" in them. But there are other factors that can effect battery life like temperature, quality and others.

I use the Nikon D50 and Nikon D80 which have their own batteries. There is a slight difference in the batteries so I can use D80 batteries in a D50, but not the other way around. The batteries that came with the Nikon are nothing short of remarkable. I bought my D50 in March of 2006 and have used the same battery in that camera for all this time, shooting literally hundreds of thousands of photos and the battery still holds a charge for an entire 2 day airshow. I haven' calculated how many shots per charge, but it's more than I can shoot at one time.

If you use the flash, that will decrease the battery life. I know it's unavoidable for some photography, but it is something to consider with battery life. Depending on your level of finances and skill/comfort, an external flash with its own battery will make the camera battery last longer.

Rechargable batteries will last a while and save you money in the long run I think...

I think they do.
If I had to buy a new set of even cheap, ordinary run-of-the-mill batteries for all the times I have recharged the rechargeable batteries that I have, it would have cost me a lot more than the price of the rechargeable ones in the long run, so yes - rechargeable batteries are cheaper in the end.

Let's for example say that I have recharged the batteries once a week as an average - sometimes it has been more frequent, other times not, it varies...then *calculates*...that's 52 weeks in a year, and three years, that's 156 times recharging for the time that I've had my rechargeable batteries - from now on called RB's.
And if we say that a cheap set of four ordinary AA batteries costs 0.80 US$ if we go with Shinpachi's price for ten batteries - that's 0.80 $ times 156 - that's...*calculates*...124.80 US$ that I should have spent on ordinary batteries.
And if we calculate with danish battery prices, it gets even worse. :lol:

That definitely makes the RB's cheaper to use in the long run. ;)

Last edited:
Ouch. I should have read your post much earlier, BikerBabe.

But thanks for your calculation as it's sure useful for my future shopping!

Attachments

• 3097trimmed.JPG
    3097trimmed.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 374
Hesitating to buy the rechargeable batteries as they look very expensive for me with the recharger, I still use the alkalines as they are very cheap, say, two dollars(US) for 10 units.

Might want to rethink that, S. My experience is that rechargeables are actually cheaper than alkalines because you get soooooo much more life.

Harrison....check around, you can get a good lens cleaning cloth from a camera store or an eyeglass place. Sometimes you can find passable cloths at a computer store, but I'd hit up an Oakley or Eyemasters or Ritz (shudder...hate that place).

Another good tip is to grab a very cheap filter to keep on the end of your lens, especially if you're shooting on a flightline or at the beach or someplace you're fairly certain that dust will be blowing around. Basically...outdoors. This way, if you get a scratch/ding/nick in the glass, its so much easier to replace a $10 filter than a $1000 lens.

Lastly, hit a camera store, and look for something called "Cap-Keepers". Or something to that effect. Its a little button that has an adhesive on one side, you jam it on your lenscap somewhere (on the front/outside, obviously!). There's a small 4-6 inch string going to either a rubber band or camera-strap-attachment-point. I've come out of hikes so many times with the lens cap dangling...but still there, not laying lost and lonely on the side of some dusty trail! A $2 piece is an easy one-time investment over $5 lenscaps every other month.

Best Buy carries some lens cleaning clothes also. They are about 3 to 5 dollars. You might check there also Harrison. Does anyone know where I might order some sensor cleaning solution for my Canon. :dontknow:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back