Photography - equipment, help hints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

:oops:

NO idea how that happened!!! I mean...Firefox has been givin me fits lately, giving me "unable to connect to server" screens and I'll have to hit the "Try Again" button a couple times....I don't recall that happening this time, though. Hmmmm....maybe time to douse the motherboard in holy water again, release all the evil smoke-demons.

Evan, you use the Sigma 50-500mm too??? That cinches it....I've just gotta save up $1G!!! Been looking at that one for about a year or so now.

Yep, been using it for a couple of seasons now. It's a good lens, but you really have to be steady for it, or be prepared to use fast shutter speeds. The lens doesn't have any VR or IS in it, so it's all up to you. Make sure that you get really good filters for it if you use them. The Sigma has bunch of lens elements inside for light to bounce around in. Adding a filter gives another surface to bounce light around in. I didn't have any luck with mine, so I stopped using filters with it altogether and was much happier.

Pretty much the only filter I use these days is a polarizer, in bright sunny outdoors shooting. Its also excellent for sunsets, you end up with blues in the sky instead of just a montage of oranges/reds.

This was taken at the Ko Olina resort on Oauh (one of the benefits of being stationed there...just a 45 minute drive to some of the best sunset spots on the island!), my notes say Oct of 98...same month I got outta the Navy! I'd been shooting a lot that day, and had forgotten to take my polarizer off when the sunset started to explode on me. I had already figured that the four rolls of 24x that I'd taken were going to be too dark to be of any use, so I was quite surprised when they turned out like this! I've used a polarizer on every sunset since then.

Attachments

• KoOlina1.jpg
    KoOlina1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 99
Nice shot RA!

interesting point... there are many options for digital videographers/digital film makers to pick up older lenses. Adapters and mounts have been made to dock to state-of-the-art motion cameras. consequently, pawn shops and thrifts stores are scoured for "old" lenses.

If you have them... hold on to them
If you see one cheap... buy it!

That's one of the reasons I chose my Pentax, it can use any K-mount lens. If it's an old enough lens, it won't register any data on the XIF file, but that's not a real big concern of mine.

Good decision... Cannon mount lenses at a premium.

Thanks, y'all. I actually miss taking sunset shots. Very relaxing. Don't miss Hawaii, but I miss the photography.

Heh. The ad-bar at the bottom of the screen has something about infrared photography, LifePixel Digital Infrared Photography IR Conversion, Modification Scratched Sensor Repair. Speakin of missing it, it was a sad, sad day indeed with Kodak quit making their infrared film. I REALLY enjoyed shooting that. And for what its worth...the link is a framework of fact stuffed full of BS. I only mentioned it so that nobody gets sucked in by it.

Last edited:
If IR film is hard to come by, at least you can create IR effects in Photoshop/Paintshop with digital files. (Unless you're lucky enough to have an IR filter - which I don't, anymore)

Anyway, I just wanted to show off my new Pelican SD card case I picked up the other day, for less than $20. It can hold 8 SD cards, or 16 mini SD cards. It also comes with a tray to replace one of the sides, though I'm not sure what you'd use it for...perhaps some other type of memory card or a filter?

I picked it up when I got a Pelican case for my camera. My main camera case is too large and bulky to just toss in the car when I take the camera to work, and I was tired of it getting covered in dust and knocked around just sitting in the front seat. The case fits my camera and a lens perfectly and was kind of expensive, but then again, it would be more expensive to repair/replace my camera! :lol:

( this is not my image - I use SanDisk cards :lol: )

Attachments

• pelican_0910.jpg
    pelican_0910.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back