Photography - equipment, help hints

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Aaron. I was talking to my Consultant this morning, whilst having the injection in my shoulder. She's a keen wildlife photographer, and it was her who suggested getting the chest harness, to ease the strain on my neck and shoulders ( having described it, she now wants one!).
She uses Canon equipment, including a 400mm zoom, and perhaps I should have gone down that line, rather than Nikon, as I understand their zoom lenses work on the 'push-pull' system, rather than the 'twist to zoom'of the Nikon/Nikkor lenses, a bit of an advantage for aviation photography in some instances. I've missed some good shots when adjusting the zoom, but some of that is down to my stiff hands, I admit.
But, although my own film cameras were Olympus, I'd used Nikon extensively too, so went with what I thought I might be familiar with. Now that I've re-arranged the two pistol grips on my shoulder stock set-up, I might investigate using a collar and handle attachment, if such a thing is available to fit my lens focusing barrel,and won't foul the rail mounts, to make rapid adjustments easier.
Heck, any more additions, and I'll need a truck just to carry the equipment - and look like an MGM wannabe into the bargain !!

I agree with you there Dave - it's very easy to slide the barrel too far, or not far enough. And in theory at least, a twist zoom, like the Nikon lenses, should be more accurate and quicker in focus, but being able to adjust quickly, with the slide, or 'push-pull' type, can sometimes be an advantage.

I imagine that different manufacturers have different "drag" set to rhe slide, but the one I had (many years ago, on my Olympus 35mm film body) was just like you described: I'd go past my desired length, hen back it up (too far), then try and run it back out (again too far) and I woukd get irritated with it to no end

I have used push-pull and twist zooms and I prefer the twist. Not that one is better than the other, just my preference. If you have stiff hands, Terry, the Sigma might not be a good lens for you. When new, they are pretty tight, but do loosen up with use. I love the Nikon 200-400 f/4, but find it limits the range to the far end. When I shot with the new 80-400 they have last year at Oshkosh, I found it to have the same clarity as the 200-400 at about half the weight and 1/3 of the price. In low light, the 200-400 might be better, but 95% of the time, I am shooting in broad daylight. At some point, I do plan on investing in the 80-400.

I agree Eric, and overall, I prefer the twist. I know what you mean about Sigma lenses. The original 75-300mm macro I got with the D3100 kit is quite stiff, and at certain points it's very stiff. It's also slightly slower in AF than the Nikon 55-300mm which I now use..
If I decide to eventually go for a 400mm, then it'll probably be the Nikon 80-400mm - that's if the Bank guard isn't looking !!

I have been using the Canon 100-400mm push pull for two years and love it, at least for me it is pretty easy to handle, but that was the only 100-400 canon made. Canon just came out with the new and improved 100-400mm that is a twist and up-graded features. I'm thinking of selling my lens and buying the new up-grade one. It is more expensive but it has better glass and optics.

I very nearly got caught out recently, when considering buying the Nikon 400mm zoom, advertised as "used, like new, retiring professional photographer" on a UK-based web-site.
I contacted the seller asking him to hold it for a week, until I could get to his location to collect it, which he agreed to.
I then asked him, via e-mail, to confirm it was the newer, DX format etc, as the original Nikon 400mm was very slow in AF, and the details weren't clear in the ad, and the image of the lens didn't show the markings on the barrel.
I never got a reply, and assume he was trying to pass-off an old lens as the newer version !
Saved me around £700 by asking that question !

When I was 7 years old, a helicopter crash landed on the riverside nearby my home.
We kids rushed there to see and I saw a press cameraman holding his Mamiya Press.
It looked so cool I wanted to afford it in the future. I afforded it but cannot understand why it's so large and heavy.

It'll take me a bit of practice to find the "sweetspots" with the new lense, but it seems to be a good little piece of glass.

As far as my "new" lens goes, I took it out today and made a discovery. I suppose it pays to pay attention to what you're buying. In this case, it's a positive revelation...not only is that lens a 35-70mm, it also has a MACRO mode!

Here's a Macro shot...and it's funny how I discovered the Macro mode: as I was going out to test shoot the lens, I saw these raindrop on an Oak leaf on the roof of Rosi's car so I went to adjust the f-length and hit the detent, going into Macro mode by accident!

And here's a deliberate shot into the sun across the waters of the Sacramento River:

Then tried a little Nature:

Then later, I had a nice evening to fool around with the golden colors:

So all in all, I think I did well for $50

Users who are viewing this thread