Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lanc-engs_zpsvdazreu7.jpg

Avro Anson Mark 1, DJ104 'XF-K', and Armstrong Whitworth Whitley Mark V, N1369 'UO-U', both of No. 19 Operational Training Unit, after a night flying accident at Kinloss, Morayshire, on 19 October 1943, during which the Anson pilot mistook the airfield controller's signal and landed on top of the Whitley as the latter was starting to take off. Neither crew was injured and, although the Whitley was written off, the Anson was repaired and flew again.

large.jpg

The last Hurricane built by the Hawker Aircraft Company, Mark IIC, PZ865 "The Last of the Many", decorated with banners and pennants on its completion at Langley, Berkshire. PZ865 was bought off the original Ministry of Aircraft Production contract by Hawkers and was retained as a communications and test aircraft. After the war it was placed on the civil register as G-AMAU and participated in a number of air races and displays before undergoing a complete overhaul in 1972, and presentation to the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, with whom it continues to fly.

large.jpg

The railyard at Freiburg, Germany got worked over. German work crews got the tracks back working fairly quickly. But the damage to the rolling stock magnified the logistical problems that Germany was facing.

AAF-Leaping-p26.jpg

One of the most brutal pictures of the loss of innocence in war. Multiply this by 10's of millions of times, for what the Nazi's were responsible for.

"Kazimiera Mika, a ten-year-old Polish girl, mourns the death of her older sister, who was killed in a field near Jana Ostroroga Street in Warsaw during a German air raid by the Luftwaffe.

"While I was photographing the bodies, a little ten-year old girl came running up and stood transfixed by one of the dead. The woman was her older sister. The child had never before seen death and couldn't understand why her sister would not speak to her…

The child looked at us in bewilderment. I threw my arm about her and held her tightly, trying to comfort her. She cried. So did I and the two Polish officers who were with me…"

kazimiera-mika-a-ten-year-old-polish-girl-mourns.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back