Picture of the day. (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

British troops scramble over rubble in a devastated street in Catania, Sicily. 5 August 1943
607px-The_British_Army_in_Sicily_1943_NA5335.jpg

24 December 1940: Obstlt. Adolf Galland, Kommodore of JG 26 with his officers waiting for the Führer Adolf Hitler at château de Bonnance in Abbeville. Hitler arrived at the castle Point-de-Briques at 16.05 hours and visited the squadron and Galland then joined the Christmas activities of the squadron there.

24 December 1940a.jpg

There's another photo showing either the arrival, or departure of Hitler, from the other side of the car. In this one, Galland is seen giving the Nazi salute. I seem to remember reading, and seeing an interview with him, where he said he never used this, always giving the traditional military salute. This was also stated, by Galland, to the producers of the BoB movie, when checking on historical accuracy, and the scene involved (the departure of Goering, on his train) ended up showing both the Nazi and military salutes by the two senior Luftwaffe officers.
It's interesting that no head dress is being worn, which would be an excuse for the lack of any salute, as I believe that, like British military personnel, the German armed forces only saluted if head dress was worn.

Last edited:
GuadBettyAttackAug_zpsenl353k3.jpg

IJN aviators pressed home a torpedo attack against American ships off Guadalcanal on 8 August 1942, suffering heavy losses. The plane on the left and at extreme low-level (approximately 5 meters) was flown by Jun Takahashi, who is still alive in 2013...

An Australian soldier, Private George "Dick" Whittington, is aided by Papuan orderly Raphael Oimbari, near Buna on 25 December 1942. Whittington died in February 1943 from the effects of bush typhus.

Buna.jpg

There's another photo showing either the arrival, or departure of Hitler, from the other side of the car. In this one, Galland is seen giving the Nazi salute. I seem to remember reading, and seeing an interview with him, where he said he never used this, always giving the traditional military salute.

Well, as 'the lovely' Mandy Rice-Davies famously said at the Old Bailey......."He would, wouldn't he?"

If ever a man managed his image, particularly post war, it was Galland.

Cheers

Steve

There's another photo showing either the arrival, or departure of Hitler, from the other side of the car. In this one, Galland is seen giving the Nazi salute. I seem to remember reading, and seeing an interview with him, where he said he never used this, always giving the traditional military salute. This was also stated, by Galland, to the producers of the BoB movie, when checking on historical accuracy, and the scene involved (the departure of Goering, on his train) ended up showing both the Nazi and military salutes by the two senior Luftwaffe officers.

Galland also stated in his book he "knew nuthink" of the extermination camps............. yeah right!

In one part of one of the filmed interviews I have, he is talking about the shooting of allied aircrew whilst under their parachutes. It may be he was 'looking' for the right words in English, but he is clearly 'fidgety', appears somewhat uncomfortable, and seems to be having difficulty with his spoken English, which is not evident elsewhere in the interview, as he states that, to the best of his knowledge, this never happened.

This might be one of the reasons why my grandfather (ex-RAAF) just called them 'Japs' till the day he died...... look at the smile on the ******* in the centre/background........... sorry if I have offend anyone (not very sorry though).

Here's the RAF graves at Sylling about 20 min drive from me, three aussies were in the Sunderland crew shot down on 9 April 1940........ LEST WE FORGET.

SyllingRAFgraves.jpg

-John

Last edited:
May 1943 - Part of a flotilla of Germans fleeing from the 1st and 8th Armies, found nearly twenty miles out to sea off Cape Bon, Tunisia, and rounded up by the Royal Navy. Picture shows three men in a boat: an officer of Rommel's Transport Corps, one German infantryman, and a Luftwaffe anti aircraft gunner.

May1943.jpg

2 January 1943. Australian troops and armour advance on Japanese positions during the battle of Buna.

I've always liked that photo Wildcat!

Here's one I like..........

Men of the Australian 9th Infantry Division guard Italians and some of the first German prisoners to be taken during the war in North Africa, after Rommel's first unsuccessful assault on Tobruk.

9thInfantryDivisionguarditaliansampgermans_zps6473eabb.jpg

cheers,

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back