Picture of the day. (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

1 January 1943. Australian machine gunner swings into action after a fellow soldier is shot dead by a Japanese sniper during the Buna campaign.

Attachments

• 014037-640.jpg
    014037-640.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 448
Sod that for a game of sailors!
No wonder I prefer aircraft - those floating things are bl**dy dangerous !!

I have only just found this thread. A comment on a ship at sea. In the early 1970's I was on HMS Tiger which was designed with a 6in turret at the bow and one at the stern. They removed the stern turret and replaced it with an aircraft hanger for four Sea Kings, despite additional ballast she was approx. 200 tons nose heavy and our mess was around the fore 6in turret. In a storm crossing the Bay of Biscay our mess deck was rising and falling 30ft every wave. Experienced crew members (but not me) could stand at the bottom of a ladder, wait for the ship to fall, push off with their feet and grab the rail at the top of the ladder without any effort. We were banned from going on deck.

Low-level oblique aerial photograph taken during an attack on an enemy radio-equipped trawler off Borkum Island by three Bristol Blenheim Mark IVs of No. 21 Squadron RAF. Sergeant E A R R Leaver's aircraft, V6034 'YH-D', can be seen (left) spinning out of control after hitting the ship's mast during his attack. The 21 year- old pilot and his crew, Sergeant I Overheu and Sergeant J Phelps, were all killed, although the "squealer" (a vessel equipped with radio to warn enemy shipping of impending aerial attack) was sunk.

16 June 1941a.jpg

hy_Wing_attacking_enemy_vessels_sheltering_beneath_the_3000ft_cliffs_of_Sognefjord_i_zpswkqplbz6.jpg

RAF Bristol Beaufighters from the Dallachy Wing attacking enemy vessels sheltering beneath the 3,000ft cliffs of Sognefjord in Norway, 23 April 1945.

Picturesque Norwegian fjords hitherto untouched by the war became a battleground as the strike wings sought out enemy vessels lurking in them during the last months of hostilities. Three beaufighters from the Dallachy Wing are seen here attacking enemy vessels sheltering beneath the 3,000ft cliffs of Sognefjord on 23 April 1945. The freighter D/S Ingerseks was sunk and a couple of flak ships strafed with cannon fire.

I have only just found this thread. A comment on a ship at sea. In the early 1970's I was on HMS Tiger which was designed with a 6in turret at the bow and one at the stern. They removed the stern turret and replaced it with an aircraft hanger for four Sea Kings, despite additional ballast she was approx. 200 tons nose heavy and our mess was around the fore 6in turret. In a storm crossing the Bay of Biscay our mess deck was rising and falling 30ft every wave. Experienced crew members (but not me) could stand at the bottom of a ladder, wait for the ship to fall, push off with their feet and grab the rail at the top of the ladder without any effort. We were banned from going on deck.

I went aboard Tiger when she visited the Tyne, at Newcastle, around about 1970. We visited the ship, and some of the crew visited our all-ranks bar .....
Great pics, Chris and Jan.

Looks like the Kamikaze had it in for that ship!
Beautiful pic of the fjord there Jan. Inspiration for the movie '633 Squadron' perhaps?

This is a P-47 flown by Capt. Raymond Walsh, 404th FG, 9th Air Force, who strafed a German truck with his eight .50 cals, which blew up in front of him. He was forced to fly through the fireball and debris, and the action was caught on the gun camera of his wingman, Lt. Willie Whitman.

Attachments

• Can Jan 790.jpg
    Can Jan 790.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 399
Operation WRECKAGE was a low-level daylight attack on targets in Bremen by aircraft of No. 2 Group. Low-level oblique photograph taken from the nose of a Bristol Blenheim Mark IV during this determined daylight raid by nine aircraft drawn from Nos. 105 and 107 Squadrons RAF. Docks, railways and factory buildings were successfully attacked for the loss of 4 Blenheims. Wing Commander H I Edwards, the Commanding Officer of 105 Squadron, was awarded the Victoria Cross for leading the attack.

4 July 1941a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back