Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Off all the pilots, those guys I have the utmost respect for. Anybody can crash a plane and die, but intentionally crash one and try to live IMHO takes a lot of guts.

Harris had a huge respect for the glider pilots. I cannot remember the entire quote but it went along the line that it was as difficult to land a glider at night in unknown areas as it was to belly land a heavy bomber at night with no engines and less training.

As an aside many years ago at our gliding club one of our members who had flown the Horsa into combat. After a few drinks and with a twinkle in his eye John would swear blind that when crossing the Rhine he thermaled a Horsa when he saw a German machine gun where he was going to land. Great men one and all.

Is that Crete Jan?

That it is indeed Jim...

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-166-0508-31_Kreta_Vormarsch_deutscher_Fallschirmjger_zps8qjp18xc.jpg

That battle fascinates me... Should the Allies lost? I wonder...

I think 7 or 8 times out of 10 the Allies would have won but the Germans gambled (they had no choice) and won. If the Allies had held Crete would the Germans have carried on sending men and materials to N Africa with RAF and RN forces based on Malta and Crete the Axis convoys would have been under attack all the way to Libya. This might have butterflied the Russian campaign if not into a German victory but possibly the Soviets smashed back behind the Urals.

A line up any museum would happily kill for. Aircraft of the Empire Central Flying School lined up for display at Hullavington, Wiltshire. In the front row, right to left: De Havilland Mosquito, Hawker Typhoon, Supermarine Spitfire, Percival Proctor, Grumman Avenger, Hawker Hurricane and three Miles Masters. In the back row, right to left: Avro Anson, Airspeed Oxford, De Havilland Tiger Moth, Avro Lancaster, Miles Magister, Vickers Wellington, Douglas Boston, North American Mitchell, Miles Master and Short Stirling. In the foreground is a GAL Hotspur glider

Empire school.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back